Likes Likes:  34
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 50 States Ride this Saturday, September 8

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Just looked at Strava. Last year the temp was about 86F. My Garmin recorded 109F the year before (2016).
    Did you enjoy it more when it was later in September (and still got rain), usually the same weekend as the PPTC Backroads?

2. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about bags for a ride like this-

I haven't done many of these longer rides. I like to be prepared with food, a rain jacket, maybe a change of clothes (and I'm riding there). What bag do you all use for this?

I have a waterproof ortlieb pannier but it's big. I have backpacks but they make for too much extra sweat!

I actually think one of those handlebar bags might be best bec. I like having it where I can see it. Oh yes...U-lock. Gotta carry that too.!

I've thought about a fanny pack too...I see they coming back into style!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Not doing this ride, but I'll contribute. I have panniers but never use them because I don't want to have a rack on any of my bikes semi-permanently. Racks = not ELITE. If I'm doing something where I'm wearing a jersey, I can generally fit whatever I need in the jersey pockets. The default option is a backpack, and then I just deal with the back sweat. However, I recently acquired a fanny pack (ELITE) for the in-between type things where I don't want to wear a jersey, but don't need as much volume as a backpack. I have a handlebar bag, but I'm not really a fan because I don't like leaving things on the bike when locked up somewhere, and removing/attaching the one I have is a pain. U-lock in the belt or backpack (if I'm wearing a jersey, it's not the type of ride where I expect to lock my bike up).

5. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Josh! Rack is not ELITE...haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post

I haven't done many of these longer rides. I like to be prepared with food, a rain jacket, maybe a change of clothes (and I'm riding there). What bag do you all use for this?

I have a waterproof ortlieb pannier but it's big. I have backpacks but they make for too much extra sweat!

I actually think one of those handlebar bags might be best bec. I like having it where I can see it. Oh yes...U-lock. Gotta carry that too.!

Fanny packs have always been in style. I am a huge fan of the fanny pack and will definitely be rocking mine 80s style on the ride. Come to the fanny side!

8. Likes streetsmarts, reji liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    Fanny packs have always been in style. I am a huge fan of the fanny pack and will definitely be rocking mine 80s style on the ride. Come to the fanny side!
    Totally ELITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Another option is a messenger bag. I started commuting with one because I didn't want to put a rack on my Renegade (unless I was bikepacking) and having a constantly sweaty back gets old real fast. The messenger bag sits a bit lower on my back and has less surface area so it's less sweaty. I have a TIMBUK2 (https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/...-messenger-bag) which has survived some heavy downpours too. I guess the only downside is that they're not as cool as a fanny pack.

11. Likes SarahBee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post

You can drop off your lock at the beginning of the ride and WABA will have it at the Mellow Mushroom in the end for you to use it then. There is no real need to bring it during the ride. The food at the rest stops can be limited, except at lunch (if you buy it), so bringing some snacks would be good. Make sure to bring equipment and supplies to repair at least one flat. Some of the DC streets can be unforgiving, especially if there is rain.

13. Likes jen_stoly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Steve - now I remember about dropping off the lock. and yes, I always have flat repair stuff. I tend to over-prepare (extra clothes, extra food).

15. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm marshaling as well, see you there!