Likes Likes:  84
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: September 2018 - Road and Trail conditions

Post Thanks / Like

4MR under Route 1 and GWMP was flooded again at 8:30am this morning.

Also the MVT between DCA and Rosslyn was flooded at two spots: the usual one just north of Memorial bridge, and the "unusual" one between humpback bridge and memorial bridge (sorry I don't remember the exact location - this is only the second time I've ever seen it flooded).

I feel sad for all the grass I killed by riding around the flooded sections :-(

-John

2. Likes buschwacker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Roosevelt bridge signage intruding into the path...again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B1AFF5B-9FD3-43DE-9498-DD07978DD935.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	18332
    Looks like someone adjusted the sign so it won't hit you in the head.

Name:	stay in lane.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	18363

Last edited by Steve O; 09-13-2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: someone

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have information on the upcoming trail closure around the 14th Street Bridge? There's an electronic sign on E. Basin Drive by Jefferson Memorial stating the trail will be closed around September 24th. Thanks!

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiliscout View Post
    Does anyone have information on the upcoming trail closure around the 14th Street Bridge? There's an electronic sign on E. Basin Drive by Jefferson Memorial stating the trail will be closed around September 24th. Thanks!
    What I can glean from Twitter is that the official detour is to walk up or down the stairs next to the bridge. It's being closed to widen the path, so I'm trying to not get aggro about it unless the closing of Memorial Bridge which was supposed to happen this weekend and was delayed gets pushed back to coincide with this closure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    What I can glean from Twitter is that the official detour is to walk up or down the stairs next to the bridge. It's being closed to widen the path, so I'm trying to not get aggro about it unless the closing of Memorial Bridge which was supposed to happen this weekend and was delayed gets pushed back to coincide with this closure.
    It will certainly be nice to have a wider path. Hopefully, they can do this rapidly.

7. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This was just announced (https://www.nps.gov/nama/learn/news/biketrailwork.htm)

Washington – Beginning Monday, September 24, the National Park Service will start work to improve the bicycle and pedestrian trail that connects the north terminus of the 14th Street Bridge with East Basin Drive near the Thomas Jefferson Memorial. The project will widen and improve the trail surface, correct a dangerous slope along the path and improve the crosswalks and crosswalk markings across East Basin Drive. At the same time, a two-way cycle track will be installed in one lane of East Basin Drive where it passes the Jefferson Memorial, providing a dedicated and protected route for cyclists.

Starting on September 24 and lasting the duration of the anticipated 10-week project, the trail will be closed to all pedestrian and bicycle access. A marked detour utilizing stairs and a runnel (ramp adjacent to the stairs) will guide trail users around the closed area via Ohio Drive, past the George Mason Memorial, and along East Basin Drive. However, from October 7-13 (dates are weather dependent), there will be no access to or from the 14th Street Bridge; users will need to detour via Arlington Memorial Bridge.

The improvements to the 14th Street Bridge connector are a cooperative effort of the National Park Service, the District Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). The $275,000 project being funded primarily from a Transportation Alternatives Program grant from FHWA.

Name:	14th-St-Bike-Trail-Rerouteweb.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	18366

9. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCAKen View Post
    Any idea what the scope of the cycle track on East Basin Drive will be. I couldn't find any project information on this. It would be nice if it went to Ohio Drive to give riders coming to the 14th st bridge against traffic an alternative to the sidewalk.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great. Are they going to move the giant sign pole, which is the worst aspect of all, IMO?

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Sounds great. Are they going to move the giant sign pole, which is the worst aspect of all, IMO?
    Sadly, the pole will remain.

https://twitter.com/colintbrowne/sta...974367233?s=21

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see how close they come to the crowdsourced feedback we gave them five years ago

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...on-Part-1-of-3

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...on-Part-2-of-3

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...on-Part-3-of-3