Likes Likes:  84
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: September 2018 - Road and Trail conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday was my first time using the stairs. It adds about 2-2.5 minutes and is kind of a zoo. I haven't seen that many folks bunched up before. The Memorial Bridge adds about 2 miles to my Navy Yard bound commute (+10 minutes) so I think I will stick to the stairs for most of the construction.

Suggest going up the right side (duh!) unlike me since folks were waiting to come down.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8tGU5aiCcw

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's already added some cyclists to other bridges. Yesterday on the I-66 bridge there were more than usual, and I got caught behind one talking on their cell phone while riding painfully slowly. I felt like a Maryland driver caught on Georgetown Pike behind grampa. Road rage!

3. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

You can totally ride that (to the left of the stairs). Though there's a recent hole that definitely ups the game.

5. Likes Tania, Steve O liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Just heard from the NPS on the stairway. They said "We are working on a temp runnel. Hopefully installed soon."

Stay tuned.
    Great. That improved runnel will really help those on trikes, wheelchairs, with strollers, or who just don't have the physical ability to move a bike up/down a long, steep ramp. (this isn't directed at you, I just can't believe that anyone in NPS believes the runnel is anything near an acceptable solution.)

7. Likes dasgeh, Emm, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a great community bonding opportunity. Just yesterday afternoon I saw a man helping an older gentleman carry his huge electric powered fat bike up the stairs and overheard "I don't know what I would have done if you weren't here to help me!"

9. Likes dbb, dasgeh, Judd, Emm, Steve O, Starduster, Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Yesterday was my first time using the stairs. It adds about 2-2.5 minutes and is kind of a zoo.
    Your whole video is only about a minute long, from the Jefferson until you are riding along on the bridge, so I think you are overestimating the additional time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    It's a great community bonding opportunity. Just yesterday afternoon I saw a man helping an older gentleman carry his huge electric powered fat bike up the stairs and overheard "I don't know what I would have done if you weren't here to help me!"
    We're gonna have to help each other out for a bit. Carrying a bike *down* 5 flights of stairs, bearing right to allow cyclists to carry upstairs, with no rail, just the *drainage channel* on your right... no thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know who dreamed up this mad idea of "fixing" the perfectly adequate 14th street ramp?

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    Does anyone know who dreamed up this mad idea of "fixing" the perfectly adequate 14th street ramp?
    I think you’re going to be the minority opinion on this.

Post Thanks / Like

lots and lots of puddles on the MVT (4MR->14) this morning at 5:30am, but completely clear (except the usual spot by the airport) and passable.