Likes Likes:  84
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: September 2018 - Road and Trail conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Typical 14th Street Bridge traffic is almost certainly an overestimate for the increase in use of the GWMP crosswalk. Some 14th St Bridge traffic comes from the north, no? These folks are likely to decrease their current crosswalk usage during the construction, partially offsetting the increase in use by people coming from the south. For instance, anyone who currently commutes from the 110 Trail to the 14th St Bridge (e.g. Courthouse to Navy Yard) uses that crosswalk now but will stop doing so during construction.

That said, there will certainly be a lot of new people starting to cross there. I support and applaud your initiative to use the construction as a justification to focus more attention on the problems with this dangerous crosswalk.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

The crosswalk across the GWMP is certainly an issue, but I'm more worried about the crosswalk on the VA side (though not in VA) of the Memorial Bridge, upstream side. I believe that ALL Memorial Bridge traffic, which is going to include a significant portion of the 14th St Bridge traffic during the closure, will have to use that crosswalk. It is much more dangerous than the other side, as drivers think they are leaving an urban area and are preparing for controlled access highways. USPP already has officers nearby in the mornings as they move the cones that control the traffic pattern getting on to the Memorial Bridge. Those officers are often there for at least 30 minutes longer than they need to be to move cones. Those officers could police the crosswalk.

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Typical 14th Street Bridge traffic is almost certainly an overestimate for the increase in use of the GWMP crosswalk. Some 14th St Bridge traffic comes from the north, no? These folks are likely to decrease their current crosswalk usage during the construction, partially offsetting the increase in use by people coming from the south. For instance, anyone who currently commutes from the 110 Trail to the 14th St Bridge (e.g. Courthouse to Navy Yard) uses that crosswalk now but will stop doing so during construction.

That said, there will certainly be a lot of new people starting to cross there. I support and applaud your initiative to use the construction as a justification to focus more attention on the problems with this dangerous crosswalk.
    I doubt there are many people who take the 110 trail then head to the 14th St Bridge. If you take the 110 trail, it's easy to just take the Memorial Bridge. That said, folks who normally take the MVT from Rosslyn to the 14th St Bridge would probably be better served biking through Rosslyn to the Iwo Jima then the 110 Trail to get to the Memorial Bridge, so those folks wouldn't need to use the crosswalk across the GWMP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    The crosswalk across the GWMP is certainly an issue, but I'm more worried about the crosswalk on the VA side (though not in VA) of the Memorial Bridge, upstream side. I believe that ALL Memorial Bridge traffic, which is going to include a significant portion of the 14th St Bridge traffic during the closure, will have to use that crosswalk.
    Hmm... At first glance, I thought the north sidewalk would be the one closed during 14th St Bridge construction, because NPS says that "the westbound sidewalk will close first from fall 2018 until fall 2019." But when one reads the details of the detours, it sounds like the south, or eastbound, sidewalk is actually the one that will be closed. Is there a better source of info for Memorial Bridge construction?

With the south sidewalk also closed on Memorial Bridge, the inaccessibility of the 14th St Bridge becomes a much bigger problem. The crosswalk just north of Memorial Circle is even worse than the one across GWMP, due to the merging, awful sightlines, and lack of flashing lights. A trip from Crystal City to the Fish Market now involves an awkward dance around Memorial Circle traversing both of those awful crosswalks, and it nearly doubles in distance.

Surely NPS would be happy to provide a temporary crosswalk between the two eagle statues (along with police enforcement)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201809_memBrXWalk.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	18371

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I don't really know the trails in Arlington too well. I commute most days eastbound from Vienna on the W&OD then link up with the 4MRT and then take the MVT north to 14th st bridge. Going home, I take the MVT north from 14th and up Custis to the W&OD. Twice this week, I tried going from the MVT, across these crosswalks then to the memorial bridge and down Ohio Drive (surprisingly pleasant, I just took the lane, no cars). But I was not really happy with the two crosswalks from MVT to the memorial bridge and having to take Custis eastbound to do so. So, for those of you more familiar with the area, how would you get to memorial bridge from the W&OD/4MRT? One time when the 4MRT was flooded out, a kind soul showed me how to take Eads over to the Crystal City connector and I hopped back on the MVT there, but that's been the extent of my exploration. I've also considered taking Custis to crossing the key bridge and then following the river on the DC side, but I've never done that either, been playing with google maps to get comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NovaEbike View Post
    Ok, so I don't really know the trails in Arlington too well. I commute most days eastbound from Vienna on the W&OD then link up with the 4MRT and then take the MVT north to 14th st bridge. Going home, I take the MVT north from 14th and up Custis to the W&OD. Twice this week, I tried going from the MVT, across these crosswalks then to the memorial bridge and down Ohio Drive (surprisingly pleasant, I just took the lane, no cars). But I was not really happy with the two crosswalks from MVT to the memorial bridge and having to take Custis eastbound to do so. So, for those of you more familiar with the area, how would you get to memorial bridge from the W&OD/4MRT? One time when the 4MRT was flooded out, a kind soul showed me how to take Eads over to the Crystal City connector and I hopped back on the MVT there, but that's been the extent of my exploration. I've also considered taking Custis to crossing the key bridge and then following the river on the DC side, but I've never done that either, been playing with google maps to get comfortable.
    The discussion of detours for the NPS Bridge work deserves its own thread. I started one here: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...183#post181183

Post Thanks / Like

My concern is mainly the afternoon commute. I work in southwest DC and live near Tysons. Even though it is about 1 mile further, I prefer the 14th St-MVT route to Custis because far fewer cars. Since I transit through around 7 am, there is little difference to me to cross via Key or TR bridge (I avoid Memorial and associated GWMP crosswalk) since getting from NW to SW at the hour is no big deal. The afternoon (transiting about 5 pm) is a different story. I think I can rule out Key as when I went that way to avoid a frozen Trollheim, I found it faster to walk my bike on the sidewalk than cycle vehicularly (I am not a fan of filtering). Regarding TR Bridge, it seems (based on recent morning efforts to avoid MVT floods/mud) the only way to get there given the Kennedy Center construction is to go up via Virginia Ave to the north end of the Kennedy Center and ride the Death Star Trench/sidewalk to the bridge. Any alternatives? How trafficky is Virginia Ave in the afternoon (in the morning, I see more bikes and joggers than cars)?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    My concern is mainly the afternoon commute. I work in southwest DC and live near Tysons. Even though it is about 1 mile further, I prefer the 14th St-MVT route to Custis because far fewer cars. Since I transit through around 7 am, there is little difference to me to cross via Key or TR bridge (I avoid Memorial and associated GWMP crosswalk) since getting from NW to SW at the hour is no big deal. The afternoon (transiting about 5 pm) is a different story. I think I can rule out Key as when I went that way to avoid a frozen Trollheim, I found it faster to walk my bike on the sidewalk than cycle vehicularly (I am not a fan of filtering). Regarding TR Bridge, it seems (based on recent morning efforts to avoid MVT floods/mud) the only way to get there given the Kennedy Center construction is to go up via Virginia Ave to the north end of the Kennedy Center and ride the Death Star Trench/sidewalk to the bridge. Any alternatives? How trafficky is Virginia Ave in the afternoon (in the morning, I see more bikes and joggers than cars)?

Thanks.
    Regular TR Bridge commuter here. I should tell everyone to stay off it, because the more people that use it, the more unpleasant it becomes. But out of the kindness of my heart, I'll tell you that Virginia is empty all the time. But yes, the Kennedy Center is the only entrance to that sidepath. The alternative to what you laid out is taking the Memorial Bridge. See here for connections from the Memorial Bridge to the Custis.

Not sure where the Death Star Trench/sidewalk is ...

8. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post

Not sure where the Death Star Trench/sidewalk is ...
    The sidewalk on the east side of the Kennedy Center next to I-66 with the fence guarding the construction site on the other side. Although the metaphor is probably more meaningful from the perspective of my bike than yours.

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

5:30 this morning - 4MR from Rte.1 to (I assume) MVT flooded. I say "assume" because I turned around as soon as I saw water that far, but usually when water comes almost to rte.1 , it's that far, the whole run is under water.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let the games begin

Signs at the MVT ramp on the Virginia side and by the Jefferson Memorial CaBi station.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180921_072042.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	18373

Nothing to warn or prepare motorists for the crosswalk fiesta on Columbia Island

13. Likes dasgeh liked this post