Likes Likes:  84
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 73

Thread: September 2018 - Road and Trail conditions

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Starting Monday September 24? I am running my Monuments at Night Redux through there... just in time.

    Using the stairs to get to/from the bridge? Don't like that AT ALL.

  2. Likes streetsmarts, dasgeh liked this post
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Starting Monday September 24? I am running my Monuments at Night Redux through there... just in time.

    Using the stairs to get to/from the bridge? Don't like that AT ALL.
    But there'll be a runnel. SO much better. (Ignore the week in October where you don't even have that option...)

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

  4. #23
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    But there'll be a runnel. SO much better. (Ignore the week in October where you don't even have that option...)

    Some people are getting really agro on Twitter about it. Based on what work has to be done, I don't see a way to construct an alternate ramp. There is going to be significant work to regrade the slope of the hill to provide a wider flat area. This project is going to be a significant improvement to the ramp and also gets another small piece of cycletrack installed. It's going to be super inconvenient to detour to the stairs or have to cross GW and multiple times to use Memorial Bridge, but the payoff is going to be pretty good on this one.

  5. Likes LhasaCM, Steve O liked this post
  6. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Some people are getting really agro on Twitter about it. Based on what work has to be done, I don't see a way to construct an alternate ramp. There is going to be significant work to regrade the slope of the hill to provide a wider flat area. This project is going to be a significant improvement to the ramp and also gets another small piece of cycletrack installed. It's going to be super inconvenient to detour to the stairs or have to cross GW and multiple times to use Memorial Bridge, but the payoff is going to be pretty good on this one.
    Fair point. You have to break some eggs to make a cake or however that goes. I think part of the problem is the messaging with the graphic. Without reading the press release, it wasn't clear to me that (a) they say that they are putting in the runnel (so it's not just stairs) but that (b) it's scheduled for 10 weeks with one completely closed.

    What I don't know is how effective a runnel is on those stairs; seems to be much longer than the short one on 34th in Georgetown (part of getting from the canal to M Street), and that is challenging enough for a heavier/larger bike. Also, a bit more notice would be nice given the number of commuters and others who use it (I'm only occasionally there).

    Have they said anything about signage on the VA side? It's one thing from DC to see that option and to be able to determine right away if it's doable. It's another altogether to cross the bridge and end up surprised...

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

  7. Likes streetsmarts, Steve O liked this post
  8. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Fair point. You have to break some eggs to make a cake or however that goes. I think part of the problem is the messaging with the graphic. Without reading the press release, it wasn't clear to me that (a) they say that they are putting in the runnel (so it's not just stairs) but that (b) it's scheduled for 10 weeks with one completely closed.

    What I don't know is how effective a runnel is on those stairs; seems to be much longer than the short one on 34th in Georgetown (part of getting from the canal to M Street), and that is challenging enough for a heavier/larger bike. Also, a bit more notice would be nice given the number of commuters and others who use it (I'm only occasionally there).

    Have they said anything about signage on the VA side? It's one thing from DC to see that option and to be able to determine right away if it's doable. It's another altogether to cross the bridge and end up surprised...

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    I will report back on the Virginia side markings next time I ride through there (which might not be until next Saturday morning). OK, the runnel is less than ideal. But... this stretch was so hazardous anyway- too many ways for a cyclist to trip up on the wooden curbing and go straight down into George Mason's memorial, or accidently riding the Ohio Drive stairs... The improvements are more than worth the hassle.

    There is an advisory sign at the Jefferson Memorial end. If there is one for the Mt. Vernon Trail, we'll be good...

  9. Likes LhasaCM, lordofthemark, ursus liked this post
  10. #26
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,012
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Some people are getting really agro on Twitter about it. Based on what work has to be done, I don't see a way to construct an alternate ramp. There is going to be significant work to regrade the slope of the hill to provide a wider flat area. This project is going to be a significant improvement to the ramp and also gets another small piece of cycletrack installed. It's going to be super inconvenient to detour to the stairs or have to cross GW and multiple times to use Memorial Bridge, but the payoff is going to be pretty good on this one.
    I am privileged not to need a wheelchair or a cargo bike (well the latter I suppose is less privilege than the natural passage of time, and the unfortunate fact that I did not get into biking seriously in the early 1990s) so I can use the runnel - I understand the concerns of others though. I guess the way to do this and preserve better bike/wheelchair access would be to take away one of the motor vehicle lanes (not general travel lanes here, this is I395) - and while I enjoy imagining the world where that is possible, it is hard for me to hold it against DDOT (their call, not NPS?) that they did not choose to do that.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 09-15-2018 at 02:28 PM.

  11. #27
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,012
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Some people are getting really agro on Twitter
    I'm new to Twitter, but this is what they call "evergreen" right?

  12. Likes LhasaCM, Judd liked this post
  13. #28
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I'm new to Twitter, but this is what they call "evergreen" right?
    Yeah. In general BikeDC Twitter is probably 75% negative and there are several folks who are 100% negative.

    Iíve pivoted to only posting positive things, mostly bike related, because I was starting to get bummed out, although I occasionally post or retweet something critical when I think it will have an impact.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    *This* item of note- A full bridge closure on Memorial Bridge was scheduled for this weekend, and postponed. Now happening the weekend of the 22nd: https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2018/09/...e-to-florence/

    This is a FULL bridge closure to start the critically needed replacement of the old rusted-out (and artfully disguised) drawspan.

    Hoping the NPS will not start their bike trail work past the 14th St bridge *until* the 24th, as promised.

  15. Likes dasgeh, Steve O liked this post
  16. #30
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,442
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Some people are getting really agro on Twitter about it. Based on what work has to be done, I don't see a way to construct an alternate ramp. There is going to be significant work to regrade the slope of the hill to provide a wider flat area. This project is going to be a significant improvement to the ramp and also gets another small piece of cycletrack installed. It's going to be super inconvenient to detour to the stairs or have to cross GW and multiple times to use Memorial Bridge, but the payoff is going to be pretty good on this one.
    Those that are ok about the 10 weeks of work seem to be those who can use the stairs. For the rest of us (cargo bikes, biking with kids, recumbant bikes, wheelchairs, strollers, etc, etc), this "detour" shuts down this route entirely. That's 10 weeks of no 14th Street Bridge sidepath while the Memorial Bridge is being worked on.

    There is a ton of unused pavement on 395 there -- throw up some jersey barriers and add a path back to the bridge and you can move the cycletrack up there.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •