Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSA self-extracting crank bolt

Post Thanks / Like

Default FSA self-extracting crank bolt

Hi all,

I could use some experience and advice here. I managed to shear the extractor washer (or whatever the proper name for it is) while attempting removal of my FSA Omega's NDS crank.

This model uses a self-extracting crank bolt; as you loosen the bolt holding the arm to the spindle, the bolt head's flange pushes against a retaining washer screwed into the crank, thereby backing it off the spindle. Using a plain old ratchet and not much force, I managed to shear the retaining washer in two while backing out the bolt.
    https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/t...nbd-crank-bolt

I didn't install the cranks myself, but I don't have reason to suspect it was done incorrectly. Rather, the washer seems way to flimsy for the application. That, or perhaps, the arm/spindle interface didn't get greased? The bolt came out just fine, but that arm is on GOOD.

I doubt just riding around would loosen it. I'm kinda skeptical that trying a new extractor washer will work out any better, though I have one on hand. So assuming the threads are OK, I'm going to buy a flywheel puller off Amazon with the same threading as the washer (27mm x 1, left threaded). It looks like a bigger version of the Park tool extractor for square taper cranks. (A standard crank puller is 22mm x 1 right hand threaded).

What's the crowd think of this idea?

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Fl.../dp/B073QWV451

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 12.18.58 PM.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	18250

Post Thanks / Like

No advice to help, but given the extremely high torque spec FSA gives for that bolt, if the installer actually cranked it in that hard (I've never taken mine up to 38Nm), I'm not surprised it was damaged.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    No advice to help, but given the extremely high torque spec FSA gives for that bolt, if the installer actually cranked it in that hard (I've never taken mine up to 38Nm), I'm not surprised it was damaged.
    Yah, gadzooks that's high. I don't know if the installer took it that high, since the bolt itself loosened pretty easily, and I was only using a ratchet, not breaker bar.

You should see the extractor. It doesn't seem any more substantial than a old fancy screw-in dust cap, works the same way.

Post Thanks / Like

Please see the video at the top of this page, which includes FSA Crankset: Crank Removal and Installation: Self-Extracting

I am not sure if you need 27mm x 1 crank puller, but the Amazon page you linked to is for a product that ships from China. This one ships from the US, and has same day delivery option.

More YouTube videos about FSA Crankset removal.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

This happened to me...here was my solution (after having two bike shops try removing it “normally”):

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    Please see the video at the top of this page, which includes FSA Crankset: Crank Removal and Installation: Self-Extracting

I am not sure if you need 27mm x 1 crank puller, but the Amazon page you linked to is for a product that ships from China. This one ships from the US, and has same day delivery option.

More YouTube videos about FSA Crankset removal.
    Thanks for the better puller option

Actually, I watched that video before I started. I wish my retaining ring was as beefy as the one in the cutaway shot!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=TwoWheelsDC;180528]This happened to me...here was my solution (after having two bike shops try removing it “normally”):

That looks like the way to go if this motorcycle tool doesn't work. You squeezed a hacksaw blade in there, yes? Mine looked a little too tight to get a sawzall in there, it'd probably bind.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=EasyRider;180530]
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    This happened to me...here was my solution (after having two bike shops try removing it “normally”):

That looks like the way to go if this motorcycle tool doesn't work. You squeezed a hacksaw blade in there, yes? Mine looked a little too tight to get a sawzall in there, it'd probably bind.
    I actually let FreshBikes handle it, since it’s a carbon frame and they sold it to me. I assume they used a hacksaw. They charged me like $20, which was less than BicycleSpace charged me for their aborted attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I actually let FreshBikes handle it, since it’s a carbon frame and they sold it to me. I assume they used a hacksaw. They charged me like $20, which was less than BicycleSpace charged me for their aborted attempt.
    I’m surprised you were charged for work not able to be completed. Is that typical?

10. 08-28-2018, 08:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    I’m surprised you were charged for work not able to be completed. Is that typical?
    I think it was probably charge-worthy, because they spent several hours trying to tap the threads of the self-extracting bolt and such. The amount struck me as a little high, but not outrageous. I was actually surprised at how little FB charged me.

12. Likes dkel liked this post