Likes Likes:  33
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better Biking On Columbia Pike Realignment

Post Thanks / Like

I went down Columbia Pike this morning and it looks like the rush hour lights to the 27 ramp are now permanent signs and the right lane must exit onto 27. The road has been re-marked and the confusing stripes are gone.

Since there is only one lane through, there is no reason to maintain 2 lanes eastbound past Queen St; though there wasn't a need before either. In the interim, a pop-up cycle track could be installed from Queen to Joyce or better down to the Pentagon entrance.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    I went down Columbia Pike this morning and it looks like the rush hour lights to the 27 ramp are now permanent signs and the right lane must exit onto 27. The road has been re-marked and the confusing stripes are gone.

Since there is only one lane through, there is no reason to maintain 2 lanes eastbound past Queen St; though there wasn't a need before either. In the interim, a pop-up cycle track could be installed from Queen to Joyce or better down to the Pentagon entrance.
    Great idea. You should send it to des-teo@arlingtonva.us

3. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post

This was the modification that HAD TO HAPPEN. Way overdue. Overall a little safer, but still a very hazardous place to ride, period.

If we petition to make the "ANC" section of the Pike single lane with bike lane, will we be crossing swords with the Army's plans, which seem to be locked in to "4 lanes the whole way"?
    Last edited by Starduster; 04-16-2019 at 10:05 PM.

5. Likes elbows liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    If we petition to make the "ANC" section of the Pike single lane with bike lane, will we be crossing swords with the Army's plans, which seem to be locked in to "4 lanes the whole way"?
    My read on the situation which I alluded to long ago in this thread:

The Army is deciding how much space to give the County.
    The County is deciding how to allocate it.

To get more space for bikes, we should be both lobbying the Army to give Arlington County more space and lobbying the County to better allocate that space.

7. Likes dasgeh, LhasaCM liked this post