Likes Likes:  147
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about e scooters

Post Thanks / Like

John Oliver did a bit on the tariffs for e-scooters and said that anything that kept their numbers down would be a good thing. I think they have a bit of an image problem overall. I don't mind them in concept, but I feel about the same toward them zipping around on sidewalks full of pedestrians as I do when I see an irresponsible cyclist zipping around on a sidewalk full of pedestrians. If someone uses them instead of a car, that's a good thing, but do they, or are they mostly being used for shorter trips such as the last mile from the Metro?

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    John Oliver did a bit on the tariffs for e-scooters and said that anything that kept their numbers down would be a good thing. I think they have a bit of an image problem overall. I don't mind them in concept, but I feel about the same toward them zipping around on sidewalks full of pedestrians as I do when I see an irresponsible cyclist zipping around on a sidewalk full of pedestrians. If someone uses them instead of a car, that's a good thing, but do they, or are they mostly being used for shorter trips such as the last mile from the Metro?
    I especially welcome them on the "protected bike lane" by the Wharf. The scooter users may see it as a sidewalk, but the scooters there may deter pedestrians from using it (and the pedestrians should not be using it, but I don't want to make that complaint as a cyclist) and the scooters are fast enough, they are less of a problem for people on bikes than the peds there.

And using them for the last mile from metro is a good thing. It may make metro useable for people who otherwise would drive.

3. Likes elbows, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Peter's Take" weekly column in ArlNOW is on e-scooters: https://www.arlnow.com/2018/08/23/pe...vehicle-pilot/ (posting does not necessarily constitute endorsement or agreement). For those not familiar with ArlNOW's weekly columnists, Peter's column seems to reflect the establishment Democratic point of view, since ArlNOW has a separate "Progressive" column.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Ftw

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	18245

6. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if Bike-O-Meters count scooters?

8. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

eScooters look fun. Unfortunately, there never seem to be any parked near my work, which is where I'm most likely to rent one.

I used to ride a folding kick scooter before Capital Bikeshare put a kiosk right by my building, and I generally had no trouble keeping up in bike lanes once I worked up a head of steam. OTOH, while riding my kick scooter worked fine on sidewalks, I've had at least two close calls from clueless asshats weaving their way through pedestrians at top speed on eScooters.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind them as a concept. I have even considered buying one. I have a problem with the way some people ride them though. Twice this week I have had to break to a complete stop because they have come straight at me cutting through people. It is just a matter of time before I crash with one. Some of them use headphones and swerve around the bike path, so of course they can't hear bike bells and won't let you pass.

Post Thanks / Like

A little late to this party but I will throw my .02 in here. I fully support scooters and e-bikes and want to see them in the bike lanes. Anything we can do to increase demand for "alternative transportation lanes" makes them more viable for the community. And scooters and e-bikes offer transportation to people that dont have or dont want access to cars. Yes the riders dont follow the law all the time and that is unfortunate. The same is true for drivers of large gas powered vehicles and that is unfortunate too.

12. Likes Erin Potter, Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    Does anyone know if Bike-O-Meters count scooters?
    How intriguing. I will ask around.

14. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by semperiden View Post
    I don't mind them as a concept. I have even considered buying one. I have a problem with the way some people ride them though. Twice this week I have had to break to a complete stop because they have come straight at me cutting through people. It is just a matter of time before I crash with one. Some of them use headphones and swerve around the bike path, so of course they can't hear bike bells and won't let you pass.
    Scooters are to cyclists as cyclists are to motorists.

16. Likes highline liked this post