Likes Likes:  152
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about e scooters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Maybe just make the trails better instead of handwringing about 15mph e-scooters and e-skateboards?
    LOL, I'm looking for things I can do in the years before I'm dead and buried...

Post Thanks / Like

Buzzfeed piece on e-scooter injuries: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...am=top-stories

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Buzzfeed piece on e-scooter injuries: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...am=top-stories
    37000+ people died in cars in 2016.

4. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

An absolute figure just begging to be normalized by a population size...would not surprise me if the scooters were in fact more dangerous per mile or hour of use. Of course, they're also early in the adoption curve and there has been little policy work directed at them, so it would be expected that these would be the subject of relatively more incidents than a more mature technology with established policy and infrastructure.
    Last edited by arlrider; 08-22-2018 at 09:58 AM.

6. Likes sjclaeys liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Scooters, much like bikes, can help address issues of road congestion, criteria emissions, carbon emissions. The user may not burn many calories while riding them (less than on an ebike, even?) but if it enables a car free or car lite lifestyle, likely improves health outcomes enough to more than offset any dangers from accidents. Not to mention the mental health benefits of being outside. All in all, a good thing.

As someone particularly concerned with improving utilization of our seg infra, and broadening the constituency for it, I welcome them to share MUPs and bike lanes with us. I also note that all the arguments against allowing ebikes on the trails, apply more weakly or not at all to e scooters.

8. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlrider View Post
    An absolute figure just begging to be normalized by a population size...would not surprise me if the scooters were in fact more dangerous per mile or hour of use. Of course, they're also early in the adoption curve and there has been little policy work directed at them, so it would be expected that these would be the subject of relatively more incidents than a more mature technology with established policy and infrastructure.
    They also may already surpass bicycles with regard to embarrassingly bad "journalism".... like this story from Cleveland.com. https://www.cleveland.com/metro/inde...c_scooter.html

You wouldn't know it from the headline, but the driver of the car was 19 and drunk! And it ends with this brilliant bit - "The scooters have been known to cause injuries to their riders in 32 other American cities where they've appeared over the past year."

Yeah! Injuries tend to happen when you get drunk and mow people down in your cars!

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not really seeing the purpose of the reply. Just saw the article cited in the Axios daily email and shared it without comment one way or another. arlrider makes a good point about normalizing by population size though.

12. Likes rcannon100, Sunyata liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not really seeing the purpose of the reply. Just saw the article cited in the Axios daily email and shared it without comment one way or another. arlrider makes a good point about normalizing by population size though.

Axios. Buzzfeed. We have *insert scottish accent* STANDARDS.

Post Thanks / Like

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It wasnít meant as a criticism of you. Itís the sensationalist reporting on some pretty minor injuries from scooters while no one bats an eye at the carnage caused by cars.

On the issue of normalizing the stats, I just donít buy it. Maybe if you just count all injuries as the same, but people arenít getting crushed and maimed by scooters, and scooters donít crash through houses and storefronts on a daily basis. Iíd wager that, even accounting for population and miles traveled, the level of economic loss caused by car crashes far outweighs that caused by injuries from all other modes combined...especially once you factor in externalities like pollution.

16. Likes dasgeh liked this post