Likes Likes:  139
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about e scooters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phog View Post
    The brushless motor controllers in the rental scooters are sophisticated and programmable by the company for capping top speed, acceleration, setting a charge rate to the battery management board, setting degree of regenerative braking and when it engages, whether the scooter needs to be rolling (and how fast) before the motor will engage, and more.
    There are high end e-scooters like the Nanrobot LS7 or RS11-11 that have huge range and go startlingly fast, at a premium price. That may be what you saw.
    Rip out ALL the circuitry on a 36v, 300W rental bike, wire in extra cells to boost the battery to 52V, put in your own BMS and generic 48V, 300 watt controller, and you can make the thing move pretty fast for under $30. Not that I would endorse doing such a thing! And it would be primitive, throttle-only... you would no longer have all the refinements, like regenerative braking. Plus you would be driving the motor pretty hard. It could reduce the service life of the hub motor.
    If they just invent scooter classes it would fix that problem, that seems to be the plan for ebikes/little electric motorcycles.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    If they just invent scooter classes it would fix that problem, that seems to be the plan for ebikes/little electric motorcycles.
    We don't really need multiple classes - just "meet these requirements and we'll treat your scooter like a bike"

Post Thanks / Like

so if a kid moves your scooter you get a $25 bill?
    Why not? Why does a sense of equity for a scooter user outweigh public safety?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Shoot, why not fine anyone who walks past a poorly-parked scooter? Advocates seem to think it reasonable to expect Good Samaritans to fix parking problems; why not monetize the fact that some of us are too lazy and selfish to stop and fix scooter problems others created?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    I'm not there, someone moves a scooter I'm done with, I get a fine...how does that in any way increase public safety? Should we also prosecute people for manslaughter if someone else steals their car and hits someone?

6. Likes lordofthemark, scoot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    We don't really need multiple classes - just "meet these requirements and we'll treat your scooter like a bike"
    You're right--I'm sure that'll be exactly as effective in the long run!

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not there, someone moves a scooter I'm done with, I get a fine...how does that in any way increase public safety?

It doesn't but at least it punishes the scooter users, who tend to be younger than the citizenry in general, are more often POC's, and when they are white appear to be those "hipsters" who are ruining the country.

9. Likes scoot liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not there, someone moves a scooter I'm done with, I get a fine...how does that in any way increase public safety? Should we also prosecute people for manslaughter if someone else steals their car and hits someone?
    More importantly, it would discourage scooter use, which would (according to the research Va Tech did in Arlington) increase the number of Uber/Lyft rides.

Same team, people, same team.

11. Likes Steve O, scoot, lordofthemark, Dewey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ummm, if you leave the keys in the car, yes you can be held liable if someone steals it and kills someone.

https://www.ravellaw.com/opinions/ae...b5a6a20c13013c

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    More importantly, it would discourage scooter use, which would (according to the research Va Tech did in Arlington) increase the number of Uber/Lyft rides.

Same team, people, same team.
    So when someone riding a bicycle like Leslie gets hurt because of a scooter left in a MUP, they should just be thankful that the person who left the scooter didn't ride Uber/Lyft? I don't want to be part of any team that will reject any suggestions to improve public safety because they can come up with unlikely factual scenarios and won't give consideration to anything that could impinge on scooter use. You guys sound a lot like the NRA.

14. Likes huskerdont liked this post