Likes Likes:  152
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about e scooters

Post Thanks / Like

Scooter Repo Men

IMO this is a moral equivalent to predatory towing, which is tantamount to theft.

More reason for local jurisdictions to get a grip on scooter regulations, soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I heard about this story some time back; sounds as if it is now coming to a head. Of course, Arizona State has about a thousand impounded scooters that it is likewise holding for ransom. What makes this one particularly unsavory is that the scooters were obviously plucked from public areas and not from complicit landowners as the repo men assert.
    The City of Richmond is buddies with a towing company that impounded 300 or so Bird scooters and will auction them in two weeks.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Please, oh please, just make it stop!
    Wait.... what???? I thought being the forum sour puss was my job.

Just.... wait.... let me finish one more drink. This discussion is sooo fascinating and will surely influence the outcome of policy makers' decision making

Post Thanks / Like

I have many times stopped to read the rules that are on the various companies' scooters. I assume that these are not laws but things that the companies are doing to keep from being sued. I think that I have only once seen a scooter rider wearing a helmet, and other rules like don't ride on sidewalks are also violated frequently.

Anyway, while on foot and waiting for a light to change, I noticed that a Lyft scooter had something in braille written on the stem. Does anyone know what I says?

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    I have many times stopped to read the rules that are on the various companies' scooters. I assume that these are not laws but things that the companies are doing to keep from being sued. I think that I have only once seen a scooter rider wearing a helmet, and other rules like don't ride on sidewalks are also violated frequently.

Anyway, while on foot and waiting for a light to change, I noticed that a Lyft scooter had something in braille written on the stem. Does anyone know what I says?
    It says, "If you can read this, do not ride."

6. Likes drevil liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post

Some are things that are not laws applying to all scooters, but rules applying to dockless scooters based memoranda of understanding with local govts. For example I think the laws for helmets for a scooter you own are the same as for bikes - not required for adults in va, md, or dc. But the MOUs require the companies to "not allow" helmetless riding.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Are Shared Scooters Good for the Planet? Only If They Replace Car Trips

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...-trips/595387/

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phog View Post
    . . . The City of Richmond is buddies with a towing company that impounded 300 or so Bird scooters and will auction them in two weeks.
    When your scooter company relies on an act-first-ask-forgiveness-later deployment strategy ( https://fortune.com/2018/10/09/bird-ceo-scooters-laws/ ), you're bound to get burned occasionally. A towing company, contracted by the city and at the order of the city, impounding scooters from a company ignoring cease and desist letters doesn't sound all that nefarious ( https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/07...eaded-auction/ ).

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the San Diego repo-men's connection to bike shops was interesting....