Likes Likes:  143
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Let's talk about e scooters

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    So what would prevent me from taking a scooter that is legally parked in a designated parking area, moving it 10 feet away and claiming it was parked illegally? I don't think their location data is sophisticated enough to differentiate?
    Or the opposite? What if someone parks it right in the middle of the bike lane, but it's close enough to the designated parking area that it can't be differentiated? Then I pick it up, take the trouble to deliver it to the impound lot legitimately to claim the $50 and am told they can't tell for certain if I am trying to scam them or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    So what would prevent me from taking a scooter that is legally parked in a designated parking area, moving it 10 feet away and claiming it was parked illegally? I don't think their location data is sophisticated enough to differentiate?
    If they geofenced parking areas, which I'd assume they would do if impoundment was actually a penalty for illegal scooter parking, they would have a pretty good idea where the scooter was parked and make sure their users are parking in designated parking hour. Moving it 10 feet doesn't change where it was originally left by the user and the 10ft movement can be picked up by either GPS or if they have an anti-tampering device that senses movement, since you would have to wait an hour to come back and pick it up as illegal. They would see the additional movement was made by tampering and if done more than a couple times by the same person could start assuming fraud is involved.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    If they geofenced parking areas, which I'd assume they would do if impoundment was actually a penalty for illegal scooter parking, they would have a pretty good idea where the scooter was parked and make sure their users are parking in designated parking hour. Moving it 10 feet doesn't change where it was originally left by the user and the 10ft movement can be picked up by either GPS or if they have an anti-tampering device that senses movement, since you would have to wait an hour to come back and pick it up as illegal. They would see the additional movement was made by tampering and if done more than a couple times by the same person could start assuming fraud is involved.
    Let me assure you that if a $50 reward were being offered, people will figure out how to game the system.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Please, oh please, just make it stop!

5. Likes secstate, dasgeh, ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    Moving it 10 feet doesn't change where it was originally left by the user and the 10ft movement can be picked up by either GPS
    No, it really can't. Consumer GPS isn't that good.

7. Likes Erin Potter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    No, it really can't. Consumer GPS isn't that good.
    And it's not a question of ten feet, anyway, is it? More like 2-3 feet. Have you never had the experience of your $500 smartphone not understanding that you're driving your car in the HOV/HOT lanes, of it thinking you're in the local lanes thirty feet away? Why would you think a $500 scooter be so much better?

For parking enforcement, scooter GPS is only useful for preventing grossly inappropriate acts like a known customer ending a ride in the middle of a bridge. There's no hope of it differentiating between legally in the corral and illegally lying across the sidewalk next to the corral.

Post Thanks / Like

GPS alone won't work, but GPS+Fisheye camera would help finding the exact location, unless it's at night time. I doubt that scooter companies would add cameras though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    GPS alone won't work, but GPS+Fisheye camera would help finding the exact location, unless it's at night time. I doubt that scooter companies would add cameras though.
    It would have to work at night, but that's doable. The real question is whether we're ready for scooters to become 24/7 surveillance devices. (Which is basically what you'd need, in order to identify who's actually messing with the scooter.)

Post Thanks / Like

Submitted for your approval, from today's Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.76d8c45e2774

This is a larger and older problem than this crop of E-scooters.

Post Thanks / Like