Likes Likes:  139
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about e scooters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    The free weekly Alexandria Times this week pulled a hard 180 this week and published a piece sympathetic to scooters, focusing on new riders. It has nice bits about replacing car trips, reducing environmental impact, etc. -- but I LOLed on this scooter apologist quote about Scofflaw Scooterists:
    As if the riders who park the bikes badly and the residents who abuse the scooters wake up with a "let's go do some crimes" mentality and, you know, it's just a question of which large metallic object they were gonna block the sidewalk with. Ha!
    I think the point is that some people are going to be inconsiderate no matter what. The people who park bikes on wheelchair ramps and toss scooters into the creek are the same ones who ditch their shopping carts in the middle of the lane in parking lots and spit their gum out on the sidewalk. IOW, just standard, run-of-the-mill nest-shitters.

2. Likes dasgeh, Dewey liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    I think the point is that some people are going to be inconsiderate no matter what. The people who park bikes on wheelchair ramps and toss scooters into the creek are the same ones who park their cars blocking curb cuts, ditch their shopping carts in the middle of the lane in parking lots and spit their gum out on the sidewalk. IOW, just standard, run-of-the-mill nest-shitters.
    FTFY

Cars can't be picked up and moved aside, so I'd say if the inconsiderate have to get around, I rather have them on scooters.

4. Likes buschwacker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Iím gonna guess that the last user is typically not the one who tosses an e-scooter into a creek, off a bridge, whatever. However, holding that last user financially responsible for the scooter may encourage a little more user attention to leaving them in places less likely to result in the e-scooter winding up in a creek, off a bridge, whatever.
    I am also gonna guess that the e-scooter providers are not going to want to go that route because it may hurt business more than it reduces equipment loss.
    Getting successfully sued by someone who sustains injuries as a result of an improperly abandoned e-scooter might move the needle.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    So, will there be one or two of these placed on the 14th Street Bridge sidepath?

Yesterday on the ride home I passed an e-scootee at about 2/3rds of the way to the Virginia side who appeared to be dealing with a scooter that ran out of e-.

8. Likes buschwacker liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The free weekly Alexandria Times this week pulled a hard 180 this week and published a piece sympathetic to scooters, focusing on new riders. It has nice bits about replacing car trips, reducing environmental impact, etc. -- but I LOLed on this scooter apologist quote about Scofflaw Scooterists:
    As if the riders who park the bikes badly and the residents who abuse the scooters wake up with a "let's go do some crimes" mentality and, you know, it's just a question of which large metallic object they were gonna block the sidewalk with. Ha!

Yesterday evening, as I was riding down King from Beauregard to North Hampton, I saw one scooter rider riding on the sidewalk (west side of King) and five, count em, five cars blocking crosswalks (one the crosswalk at Beauregard on the east side of King, four at 28th and King, on the east side of King, two on each side of 28th) So, er, yeah.

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday evening, as I was riding down King from Beauregard to North Hampton, I saw one scooter rider riding on the sidewalk (west side of King) and five, count em, five cars blocking crosswalks (one the crosswalk at Beauregard on the east side of King, four at 28th and King, on the east side of King, two on each side of 28th) So, er, yeah.
    Parked and blocking, or temporarily blocking with vehicle operators inside?

Post Thanks / Like

Parked and blocking, or temporarily blocking with vehicle operators inside?
    Temporarily blocking - but anyone trying to cross with the light would have had to go outside the crosswalk to get around. A friend of mine got hit by a truck that way, her bike was totaled, but by a miracle and good instincts she was not badly hurt.

But yeah, lots of people, both drivers and people engaged in the public discourse, don't think that cars "temporarily" blocking a crosswalk is a big deal. Not as bad as someone putting one of those ugly scooters on their lawn. Feh.

13. Likes dasgeh, ursus, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Temporarily blocking - but anyone trying to cross with the light would have had to go outside the crosswalk to get around.
    Or wait. Radical suggestion, I know.
    A friend of mine got hit by a truck that way, her bike was totaled, but by a miracle and good instincts she was not badly hurt.
    That sucks but TBH it sounds like she was partially at fault.
    But yeah, lots of people, both drivers and people engaged in the public discourse, don't think that cars "temporarily" blocking a crosswalk is a big deal. Not as bad as someone putting one of those ugly scooters on their lawn. Feh.
    For any motorist in the right lane where right on red is allowed, blocking the crosswalk is pretty much required to proceed safely. So yeah, it's often not a big deal and is far more understandable than blocking right of way or littering private property with these rolling e-waste** contraptions, both of which are easily avoidable.

** $500 each and they don't even last five months?

15. Dislikes josh, huskerdont, mstone, Judd disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Or wait. Radical suggestion, I know.

That sucks but TBH it sounds like she was partially at fault.

A. You can wait a very long time at some locations for a clear crosswalk (King and 28th being an example) Especially because the lights at 28th and King are set to enable traffic on King, so its a long time between walk phases across King. Assuming the sidewalk is not blocked the NEXT time you get a green across King. Its really not reasonable.
    B. In any case lots of people won't wait. If we are worried about safety, we need to deal with what people will actually do.
    C. It nice to see blame put on the rider/pedestrian, rather than the driver who is actually in violation of the law.

For any motorist in the right lane where right on red is allowed, blocking the crosswalk is pretty much required to proceed safely.

A. Or they could, as you said above, just wait. In this case just wait for a green to turn on.
    B. In four of the five cases I was referring to, the cars were not attempting to turn on red. Just gridlocking the intersection with 28th
    C. In the case where my friend was hit, there was no right on red issue, it was where a trail crossed a road. Again, they were just gridlocking, and ignoring the crosswalk.
    D. Of course banning right on red at more locations is good for this very reason. I assume that has not been done at King and Beauregard to preserve auto LOS. And, ironically, because few pedestrians there. The whole intersection will be redone as part of the Alexandria Gateway project, I hope RTOR will be banned at that point. How RTOR on makes sense at a location where visibility requires blocking the crosswalk, I do not understand.

So yeah, it's often not a big deal and is far more understandable than blocking right of way or littering private property with these rolling e-waste** contraptions, both of which are easily avoidable.

There are plenty of options to improve scooter parking - including parking corrals at intersections (daylighting of which might help with the right on red problem above). Scooter companies are working on better scooters with longer service lives .
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 05-24-2019 at 08:38 AM.

17. Likes dasgeh liked this post