Likes Likes:  143
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about e scooters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    But meanwhile I will advocate for remedies, especially ones like bike lanes and parking corrals that daylight intersections that have other benefits. And I will oppose unfair criticism of scooters that appear to to criticize them for things we accept in autos.
    There's an "improperly Parked" e-scooter thread on my Del Ray, Nextdoor app right now. All kinds of people advocating to saw it in half or throw it in the street or set it on fire or call the police... Only a few useful suggestions like move it 3 feet so it's not in your way. I had to mention that at least it was a dockless scooter and not a dockless car blocking the sidewalk because you actually can move the scooter.

It's off topic, so I have refrained from advocating setting improperly parked dockless cars on fire but most commentors seem to think the e-scooters are the absolute devil. There also seems to be an illegitimate fear that e-scooters are universally ridden by unruly teenagers and once you get a few in your neighborhood the TPing, lighting poo on fire, and bricks through windows is sure to follow. WTF.

EDIT: I should mention that the initial question was probably innocent from someone who's legitimately not sure - Like, "How is the city handling this? Should I I report it or not?" The replies have mostly been useless.
    Last edited by creadinger; 05-29-2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Additionally

2. Likes Steve O, laurenist liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    There's an "improperly Parked" e-scooter thread on my Del Ray, Nextdoor app right now. All kinds of people advocating to saw it in half or throw it in the street or set it on fire or call the police... Only a few useful suggestions like move it 3 feet so it's not in your way. I had to mention that at least it was a dockless scooter and not a dockless car blocking the sidewalk because you actually can move the scooter.

It's off topic, so I have refrained from advocating setting improperly parked dockless cars on fire but most commentors seem to think the e-scooters are the absolute devil. There also seems to be an illegitimate fear that e-scooters are universally ridden by unruly teenagers and once you get a few in your neighborhood the TPing, lighting poo on fire, and bricks through windows is sure to follow. WTF.

EDIT: I should mention that the initial question was probably innocent from someone who's legitimately not sure - Like, "How is the city handling this? Should I I report it or not?" The replies have mostly been useless.
    Note on Next Door people in nearby neighborhoods can see the thread too - so you are probably getting the Old Town crowd as well - quite a few of those folks are on the warpath about escooters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Note on Next Door people in nearby neighborhoods can see the thread too - so you are probably getting the Old Town crowd as well - quite a few of those folks are on the warpath about escooters.
    In my experience there was always someone on the warpath about something on nextdoor, my solution was to leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    In my experience there was always someone on the warpath about something on nextdoor, my solution was to leave.
    I came for the classifieds, stayed for the package theft videos

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Oh its not just nextdoor, its on the FB pages of the Mayor and all the hyper local new sites, it's at Council meetings, etc.

BTW, last night as I was walking home, the crosswalk was blocked by a car at North Hampton and Strutfield - not parked, the driver was there - but not waiting to turn - I think he was an Uber driver checking his phone. No better place to do that than right across the crosswalk I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    FTFY

Cars can't be picked up and moved aside, so I'd say if the inconsiderate have to get around, I rather have them on scooters.
    Except I was referencing complaints I've seen on this forum about hooligans who don't park their dockless bikeshares where we want them to.

Some of the "Two wheels good, but only a certain type of two wheels and if it doesn't fit my definition of the 'right' two wheels then they're The Devil" comments I've seen on this forum over the years just amaze me.
    Last edited by Drewdane; 05-31-2019 at 10:17 AM.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

In case you don't read all the posts and double posts, we'll talk about escooters (and ebikes and bike parking and Army Navy Drive) at the June 3, 2019 Arlington BAC meeting.

9. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    There's an "improperly Parked" e-scooter thread on my Del Ray, Nextdoor app right now. All kinds of people advocating to saw it in half or throw it in the street or set it on fire or call the police... Only a few useful suggestions like move it 3 feet so it's not in your way.
    One can only hope that news of a scooter catching fire in DC, and causing minor damage to a nearby wall, tempered your neighbors' alarmist comments.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...=.52b0a0b9e2da

11. Likes creadinger liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    In case you don't read all the posts and double posts, we'll talk about escooters (and ebikes and bike parking and Army Navy Drive) at the June 3, 2019 Arlington BAC meeting.
    Good to see that the Army Navy Drive plans are at 30% design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely love e-scooters. As a cyclist, I am finally not the most-hated mode user. People really seem to enjoy complaining about them.