Likes Likes:  158
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Let's talk about e scooters

Post Thanks / Like

Sucks to be Lime or Bird

Post Thanks / Like

If the non-selected vendors remain in the metro area, I'd expect a pile of the scooters at the point on the MVT (and other trails) where the geo-fence is. Presuming the units just stop working so the riders will get off and abandon the scooter. How do you suppose they will handle Columbia Island, where a scooter could be expected to transit through DC without ever crossing the river.

3. Likes Henry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    If the non-selected vendors remain in the metro area, I'd expect a pile of the scooters at the point on the MVT (and other trails) where the geo-fence is. Presuming the units just stop working so the riders will get off and abandon the scooter. How do you suppose they will handle Columbia Island, where a scooter could be expected to transit through DC without ever crossing the river.
    First place, the rules have always governed where a bike or scooter can be left at the end of a ride, not where it can transit. It's fine to ride a Jump bike in Montgomery County, for example, so long as you return it to DC at the end of the trip.

And Lime has always resolved all issues by not actually enforcing its rules. You return a Jump bike anywhere out of the city, they hit you with a $25 fee. Lime's enforcement mechanism was just to put something in the rules saying you couldn't do it. At one point, I called Lime, because I'd taken a Lime e-bike into Bethesda, and it had run out of juice before I could get it back to DC. The people I talked to were mystified about why I'd even bother calling.

Post Thanks / Like

ArlNow report a scooter rider crashed into a School Bus at the intersection of Wilson Blvd & N Oak St in Rosslyn. A commenter on the ArlNow article claiming to be a witness wrote the scooter rider was salmoning in the bike lane coming downhill and ran a red light he couldn't see before he hit the bus. No life threatening injuries reported.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    ArlNow report a scooter rider crashed into a School Bus at the intersection of Wilson Blvd & N Oak St in Rosslyn. A commenter on the ArlNow article claiming to be a witness wrote the scooter rider was salmoning in the bike lane coming downhill and ran a red light he couldn't see before he hit the bus. No life threatening injuries reported.
    It's interesting that I just got a tweet about this, and this happened yesterday according to the article. The fact that there are numerous comments to the article which were posted yesterday confirms this.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure that particular stretch of bike lane on Wilson gets much use while the lane closures for the building site at 1555 Wilson Blvd/Highlands Park are ongoing, but I regularly have to dodge salmoning scooters, joggers, and pedestrians, in the PBL sections on Wilson going up hill towards Courthouse.
    Last edited by Dewey; 01-07-2020 at 10:42 AM.

8. Likes Henry liked this post