Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Protected Bike Lane on Quincy btwn 9th and Wilson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    2. I doubt any police force in any city or county in Virginia WITH a PBL would cite a cyclist for riding in the general travel lane near a PBL - probably even a slow cyclist. So it would only come to court in a civil case, I guess. If a driver hit a cyclist taking the lane adjacent to a PBL and their attorney chose to invoke 46.2
    This, plus VA's contributory negligence laws are what concern me. If you ride in the regular lane and get ran over by a reckless driver, does the single fact you weren't in the PBL limit your ability to collect damages.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    This, plus VA's contributory negligence laws are what concern me. If you ride in the regular lane and get ran over by a reckless driver, does the single fact you weren't in the PBL limit your ability to collect damages.
    Given that there are some circumstances where you would need to take the lane (PBL blocked, turning left), this seems unlikely.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't surprise me if some judge/jury in VA found contrib just for riding a bike at all, so there's that. But that's no reason not to put up a sign like Arlington did on Quincy.

Post Thanks / Like

The car side of the sign should be white and the bike side of the sign should be yellow.

Still, last week, with an earthmover and 4 construction workers taking up the bike lane and me in the main lane I had the joy of a Ford 150 driver yelling at me to, "Get in the bike lane or I will f---ing run you over next time." Good times, good times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    The car side of the sign should be white and the bike side of the sign should be yellow.

Still, last week, with an earthmover and 4 construction workers taking up the bike lane and me in the main lane I had the joy of a Ford 150 driver yelling at me to, "Get in the bike lane or I will f---ing run you over next time." Good times, good times.
    Would have been great if you replied "and you'll end up in f---ing jail!" but unfortunately we know that is not necessarily true.

5. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    the joy of a Ford 150 driver yelling at me to, "Get in the bike lane or I will f---ing run you over next time." Good times, good times.
    A failure of humanity, not necessarily a failure of infrastructure.

7. Likes ginacico, consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    A failure of humanity, not necessarily a failure of infrastructure.
    perfectly reasonable to be both

9. Likes Steve O liked this post