Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: August 2018 - Road & Trail Conditions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default August 2018 - Road & Trail Conditions

    Hi all,

    Starting off the August thread with an update on South Four Mile Run Trail, between S Glebe Road and with Water Pollution Control Plant.

    From my inbox:
    "As part of the South Four Mile Run Sanitary Sewer Relining project, Arlington County will reline a 50 year-old 48/54-inch sanitary sewer line on South Glebe Road from West Glebe Road to the Water Pollution Control Plant (530 31st Street South) on South Fern Street. A CCTV inspection conducted in the fall of 2015 revealed that the sanitary sewer pipe had moderate-to-severe deterioration, including: corrosion, small holes, infiltration of roots and reinforcing steel exposed with rusting. The purpose of this project is to extend the life of the pipe using a trenchless rehabilitation method, known as cured-in-place pipe (CIPP). Arlington County will use county contractor AM-Liners East Inc. to perform this work.

    Location: East bound side of S Glebe Rd from W Glebe Rd to the Water Pollution Control Plant (530 31st St S) on S Fern St
    Duration: Summer 2018 to winter 2018/19

    The CIPP process requires a temporary bypass to be installed prior to the installation of the liner to ensure no disruptions in service. Large pumps and pipes associated with the bypass will be installed near the trail at S Four Mile Run Dr and S Cleveland St and will run continuously to the Water Pollution Control Plant located at 530 31st St S. Traffic may be impacted on S Glebe Rd and on the S Four Mile Run bike trail at times when the contractor is installing the temporary bypass system. Due to the length of the project (5,900 linear feet), there will be some sections where the bypass is above ground.

    The process used to cure the pipe requires crews to work around the clock. The pumps and boilers will run constantly during the curing phase. Each pipe segment normally takes between 24-36 hours to cure.

    Additionally, a 60-inch section of pipe on S Arlington Ridge Rd and S Joyce St will be removed and replaced. The right east bound lane on S Glebe Rd will be closed during the excavation and replacement of the pipe. A new traffic pattern will be in place with warning signs. This work is estimated to take approximately 45 days to complete and the start date will be determined upon the installation of the bypass. Work hours will be Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

    Residents should expect inconveniences such as parking restrictions, traffic detours, street closures, dust and noise. We will make every effort to minimize any inconveniences and we greatly appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.

    For more information, please visit the project website: https://projects.arlingtonva.us/proj...ewer-relining/.

    If you have any questions, please contact our construction manager, Hisham Wahdan at Hwahdan@arlingtonva.us or 703-228-7628 between the hours 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. For any after-hours emergency, please call our 24-hour Water Control Center at 703-228-6555.

    Your understanding and cooperation during this period is greatly appreciated."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    Hi all,

    Starting off the August thread with an update on South Four Mile Run Trail, between S Glebe Road and with Water Pollution Control Plant.
    The work area was very busy this morning about 7:45, but 4MRT was still open. Looks like it's back to the Wayne F. Anderson Bikeway for a while. I wonder why they didn't take care of this during the last trail closure?

  3. Likes Judd liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,377
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    The work area was very busy this morning about 7:45, but 4MRT was still open. Looks like it's back to the Wayne F. Anderson Bikeway for a while. I wonder why they didn't take care of this during the last trail closure?
    Rode through yesterday evening and paused for a bit to allow equipment to cross the trail carrying big pipes. Thought it was strange they didn't have a detour to WAFB in place.

  5. Likes Judd liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Shirlington area
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They've installed the large sewage pipe most of the way between Mt. Vernon Ave and S. Glebe. The pipe is placed directly on top of the trail. It results in a very narrow trail since it takes up about half of the southern-most lane, so ride carefully. There's very little room for error when encountering cyclists or runners coming the opposite direction.

  7. Likes Erin Potter liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    They've installed the large sewage pipe most of the way between Mt. Vernon Ave and S. Glebe. The pipe is placed directly on top of the trail. It results in a very narrow trail since it takes up about half of the southern-most lane, so ride carefully. There's very little room for error when encountering cyclists or runners coming the opposite direction.
    Thanks for the field reports. I'll share them with the construction manager, but it might help to have folks who use the trail send messages, too: Hisham Wahdan at Hwahdan@arlingtonva.us

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Shirlington area
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    Thanks for the field reports. I'll share them with the construction manager, but it might help to have folks who use the trail send messages, too: Hisham Wahdan at Hwahdan@arlingtonva.us
    Happy to send a report, but not sure the point of it? I assume this was the plan so it's just how it's going be until construction is over.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Additional Custis Trail Detour, this time near N Scott Street/Lee Highway.

    From my inbox:
    "Construction continues on the Custis Trail improvements.

    Weather permitting in the week of August 13, the contractor will begin work on the northwest corner of N. Scott Street/Lee Hwy intersection that will require the temporary closure of the trail. Therefore, trail users will follow a short detour around the work area.
    Signage in the field will direct users on the route. The attached graphic indicates the planned detour area in the context of DPR’s trail work that is underway about mile west of the N. Scott Street/Custis Trail work.
    The detour is expected to last no more than one week.

    As always, the construction schedule is subject to the weather.
    Please proceed with caution near the construction areas."

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custis Trail Closure.DOTREV.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	18214

    Also, scooped by ArlNow! https://t.co/q9vvoSIRDx

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Happy to send a report, but not sure the point of it? I assume this was the plan so it's just how it's going be until construction is over.
    Hmm. You may be correct, but the impression I was given was that the trail would be open, with occasional disruptions, like those that Judd mentioned, but not a pipe laying on the trail for the duration. Erring on the side of worth asking.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Shirlington area
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    Hmm. You may be correct, but the impression I was given was that the trail would be open, with occasional disruptions, like those that Judd mentioned, but not a pipe laying on the trail for the duration. Erring on the side of worth asking.
    Ah that makes sense. I figured a giant pipe on the trail was expected. I'll send a note!

  13. Likes Judd liked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Shirlington area
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Ah that makes sense. I figured a giant pipe on the trail was expected. I'll send a note!
    I got a a note back. They're leaving the pipe, but putting up warning signs. :-/

  15. Likes Judd, huskerdont liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •