Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Construction site adjacent to Mount Vernon Trail?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Construction site adjacent to Mount Vernon Trail?

Does anyone know whats going on with the tall wooden fences/construction next to the Mt Vernon trail, between the humpback and Arlington Memorial bridges? What is being built there? (Or: is the river just being widened there, and they don't want us to know?)

2. Likes Bilsko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious about that too; across the river, adjacent to the Kennedy Center, they are doing some heavy duty tree/vegetation maintenance. They have generators and it looks like they are using compressed air to clean or the root system - hard to tell, but its a pretty major operation for tree maintenance.

My guess is that its going to be a staging area for construction equipment -- see some of the NPS alerts. https://www.nps.gov/gwmp/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Not looking good for trail users if they have heavy equipment/vehicles crossing the trail several times a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papalena View Post
    Does anyone know whats going on with the tall wooden fences/construction next to the Mt Vernon trail, between the humpback and Arlington Memorial bridges? What is being built there? (Or: is the river just being widened there, and they don't want us to know?)
    You mean Fort Goosepoop?

I think Bilsko is right that it will be a staging area for the Memorial Bridge rehab. They may be able to reload barges there. I hope there will be money left to fix the inevitable damage to the MVT from all the heavy equipment crossing it there.

5. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bilsko View Post
    I'm curious about that too; across the river, adjacent to the Kennedy Center, they are doing some heavy duty tree/vegetation maintenance. They have generators and it looks like they are using compressed air to clean or the root system - hard to tell, but its a pretty major operation for tree maintenance.

My guess is that its going to be a staging area for construction equipment -- see some of the NPS alerts. https://www.nps.gov/gwmp/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Not looking good for trail users if they have heavy equipment/vehicles crossing the trail several times a day.
    Today's commute endured a high decibel hearing impairment due to the compressed air cleaners applied at close distances to trail users.

Wheeeee....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bilsko View Post
    I was wondering if that section across from the Kennedy Center was being prepared for a trail detour for the construction of the overpass between the REACH and the Rock Creek trail

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCAKen View Post
    I was wondering if that section across from the Kennedy Center was being prepared for a trail detour for the construction of the overpass between the REACH and the Rock Creek trail
    Could also be for the proposed trail realignment under TR bridge, but I don't think that's close enough to construction yet.

9. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCAKen View Post
    Given where the Kennedy Center construction is, I'd put my money on overpass construction.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Could also be for the proposed trail realignment under TR bridge, but I don't think that's close enough to construction yet.

We'll all miss the trail users unfamiliar with a zipper alignment.

12. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post

Those are some nice improvements! I hope they get implemented.

14. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papalena View Post
    My money is on temporary landing for construction barges for the restoration of the Memorial bridge.

They're excavating the bank down to the waterline and they're laying a construction entrance driveway off of GWP.

I rode through it this a.m. It's like driving through a construction site amidst dump trucks and blind entrances (due to the construction fences). It really really really should be a NO GO zone for us during construction.

16. Likes Judd liked this post