Likes Likes:  25
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fix a Garmin 510 touchscreen by, say, 8pm tonight

Post Thanks / Like

OK so I've been needing a new bike computer for 2 years - I let it go this long because Stravaing on my phone was working fine (just bought a remote battery & carry on the bike at all times.) It's been stopping my rides mid ride recently though - 4x in the last 3 rides!

The first time it had actually logged the ride.... I was on a break, and checked it before getting back on the bike, expecting to see "auto -pause" and instead I got the new ride record screen.... I was so relieved it hadn't lost the ride!

Anyhow i hope it's OK to sidetrack a thread now that Jon's issue is resolved (for his trip at least...)

I'm getting a clear sense from this thread that people recommend the Wahoo Element Bolt. Is that correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    I'm getting a clear sense from this thread that people recommend the Wahoo Element Bolt. Is that correct?
    I've never had a Garmin, so am not in either the "swear by them" or "swear at them" camps. With that in mind, I think either the Elemnt or Elemnt Bolt are excellent choices; the Bolt is smaller (so smaller screen, and smaller price), but otherwise they both function identically. There's also the Elemnt Mini - that just serves as a screen paired to your phone, and it relies on your phone for its GPS (so does not make sense for what you're looking for, I'd think).

If you're more concerned with recording your ride and less with navigation, another good/cost effective choice is the range of GPS units from Lezyne. I've an "old" (as in I got it December 2016) Lezyne Super GPS I'd be happy to let you borrow to try out/save it from gathering dust. (I went from that to the Elemnt for the bigger screen/better navigation features.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    I've never had a Garmin, so am not in either the "swear by them" or "swear at them" camps. With that in mind, I think either the Elemnt or Elemnt Bolt are excellent choices; the Bolt is smaller (so smaller screen, and smaller price), but otherwise they both function identically. There's also the Elemnt Mini - that just serves as a screen paired to your phone, and it relies on your phone for its GPS (so does not make sense for what you're looking for, I'd think).

If you're more concerned with recording your ride and less with navigation, another good/cost effective choice is the range of GPS units from Lezyne. I've an "old" (as in I got it December 2016) Lezyne Super GPS I'd be happy to let you borrow to try out/save it from gathering dust. (I went from that to the Elemnt for the bigger screen/better navigation features.)
    That's sweet. Also funny. How many "old" bike computers do you have to loan out really? You're like the bike computer fairy .... also awesome, as JRenaut said.

I actually have a kickstarter device that's supposed to do navigation. I need to install it on the bike - which I've put off, as it means removing the hardware that attaches my handlebar bag. But I have a bigger under the seat bag now so maybe I can make the switch. I might regret it in winter (when I will probably want more spare dry layers) but I'll hafta figure something else out - the handlebar bag catches too much wind resistance anyhow.

So though I do need navigation, I *should* have it.

Lastly .... When you said Garmin at the beginning of your message, that was just a brain fart, right? You meant to say Wahoo?

*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That's sweet. Also funny. How many "old" bike computers do you have to loan out really? You're like the bike computer fairy .... also awesome, as JRenaut said.

I actually have a kickstarter device that's supposed to do navigation. I need to install it on the bike - which I've put off, as it means removing the hardware that attaches my handlebar bag. But I have a bigger under the seat bag now so maybe I can make the switch. I might regret it in winter (when I will probably want more spare dry layers) but I'll hafta figure something else out - the handlebar bag catches too much wind resistance anyhow.

So though I do need navigation, I *should* have it.

Lastly .... When you said Garmin at the beginning of your message, that was just a brain fart, right? You meant to say Wahoo?

*♀️

As far as I know, just the two. (I say that since there's always a chance I pre-ordered or backed something that'll show up and surprise me.)

To hijack this thread even more: which Kickstarter device did you get? I have a SmartHalo on my bike as well, mostly for the motion sensor based alarm, though it does navigation as well.

Lastly: yes, I meant Garmin (since I've never owned or used one, I can't say how the Wahoo devices compare...but I do like the Wahoo devices)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    As far as I know, just the two. (I say that since there's always a chance I pre-ordered or backed something that'll show up and surprise me.)

To hijack this thread even more: which Kickstarter device did you get? I have a SmartHalo on my bike as well, mostly for the motion sensor based alarm, though it does navigation as well.

Lastly: yes, I meant Garmin (since I've never owned or used one, I can't say how the Wahoo devices compare...but I do like the Wahoo devices)
    Smart halo, yes! Do you like it?
    And you did mean Garmin.... OK. I think I'm more interested in a wahoo, ultimately.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fix a Garmin 510 touchscreen by, say, 8pm tonight

Last edited by Nadine; 08-05-2018 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Duplicate content

Post Thanks / Like

Smart halo, that's it!
    Do you like it?
    And you did mean Garmin - I see. I'm now interested in a wahoo, ultimately.

It's fine. I'd like it more if it weren't as reliant on being paird with the phone for some of the cooler new features (like a horn sound).

Yes, the Wahoo Elemnt or Elemnt Bolt are fine choices.