Likes Likes:  68
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Custis Trail Work - July 30 - August 24 - portions of trail closed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    The bridge to nowhere kind of goes somewhere
    This is sounding a lot like a question on the SAT.

2. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't *have* to double back. The bridge to nowhere kind of goes somewhere* if you're willing to treat your bike like a mountain bike.
    Well, yes, but the somewhere it goes is back the way you came anyway.

Because this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	locked gate.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	18223

Otherwise, that would have been an interesting option.

4. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Well, yes, but the somewhere it goes is back the way you came anyway.

Because this:

Name:	locked gate.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	18223

Otherwise, that would have been an interesting option.
    I saw they had put that stupid fence up in one of our downpours when I went down to check out Spout Run flooding. That wasn't there the last time I went, which was back in the 90s. Annoying that they closed this access to the trail/woods, but I suppose they did it to keep people from 1) drowning, B) partying under the bridge, III) having any damn fun at all.

Anyway, being a good rebel, I climbed over, tearing some shorts but not any skin.

I have also gone down and over Spout Run and Spout Run Parkway and over to Lorcom. I think there's a trail that goes east with some limited, unofficial access to the neighborhoods over by the Palisades, but it was a long time ago, my memory is fuzzy, and they may have shut down whatever access there was.

6. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw they had put that stupid fence up in one of our downpours when I went down to check out Spout Run flooding. That wasn't there the last time I went, which was back in the 90s. Annoying that they closed this access to the trail/woods, but I suppose they did it to keep people from 1) drowning, B) partying under the bridge, III) having any damn fun at all.

Anyway, being a good rebel, I climbed over, tearing some shorts but not any skin.

I have also gone down and over Spout Run and Spout Run Parkway and over to Lorcom. I think there's a trail that goes east with some limited, unofficial access to the neighborhoods over by the Palisades, but it was a long time ago, my memory is fuzzy, and they may have shut down whatever access there was.
    And once upon a time there was actually a bridge over Spout Run Parkway that connected Woodmont with what we might call North Courthouse now. About 15 years ago the county proposed putting a pretty cool ped/bike bridge in the same place (a fantastic idea, IMO, giving the Woodmont neighborhood walking access Courthouse), but the neighborhood civic association did not want the riff-raff cyclists the bridge would attract and the proposal was killed.
    Yes, you can still take the B. to NW walking paths over to 21st Ct. N.

Name:	nowhere.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	18225

8. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not know that. That would have been awesome, but they're right about the riff-raff cyclists; I would have used that as a route home fairly often for variety.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

If only someone were drafting a plan of what bike facilities should be built in Arlington...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    If only someone were drafting a plan of what bike facilities should be built in Arlington...
    ...they could fill it out entirely from what made neighborhood associations lose their shit and defeat because politics?

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if the work is on schedule to finish by the end of the week?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    Does anyone know if the work is on schedule to finish by the end of the week?
    Perhaps someone with inside knowledge might still reply, but until then, I saw this morning that they had paved the west side of the project, and on the east side, crews were getting paving equipment together when I went through about 6:30.

14. Likes ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps someone with inside knowledge might still reply, but until then, I saw this morning that they had paved the west side of the project, and on the east side, crews were getting paving equipment together when I went through about 6:30.
    I have received no update, but emailed this AM. This is solid intel from the field though that gives me hope!

16. Likes ursus, Judd liked this post