Likes Likes:  43
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Custis Trail Work - July 30 - August 24 - portions of trail closed

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

And... if you have a moment to write trails@arlingtonva.us to describe your experience, especially if it could be done better, please do. I'm not confident they realize the impact of their mistakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    At the time Sunyata and I rode by this morning, the signs should have been covered, since the detour was not completely marked. I just got word that the detour signs are now complete sets, with all turns marked. If you take one this evening or tomorrow, please let me know your thoughts. The actual trail demo is scheduled to begin tomorrow. And be nice to any lost trail users you may encounter.
    Detour signs were up this morning! (At least the section of detour I took... I dumped out to get on Clarendon Blvd instead of taking Key.)

3. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to run to Mom's yesterday. There were some issues with the signs, including a point where following the signs from Veitch and Lee to Vance, then Adams, you would see signs pointing you back to Veitch - i.e. in a circle. Similarly, there were signs pointing people walking and biking along the sidewalk of Lee to turn up Adams...

Post Thanks / Like

This morning, I got on the trail at Quincy and ended up just riding straight down the trail past all the detour signs. There was no evidence that any trail work is being done, other than the signage. No wonder they're going to take a month!

6. Likes dasgeh, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Been in a place with comfortable weather for a while, so this was my first experience with the detours. I am really happy I know the area and could just ignore the signs. If you have a bike you can do it with, carrying up the 42 steps right next to the closure eastbound is the way to go. Then just cut through on the road that looks like an alley (20th St./Vance) and you're out on Veitch near MOMs. Can work going west as well if you're willing to go against the short one-way on 20th, but I'll probably just take Lee Highway. I would love to see streams of hundreds and hundreds of cyclists taking the lane on Lee Highway, puzzling motorists and county planners until this is done, so I'll do my little part.

Post Thanks / Like

I went through on Saturday. There were two spots that had been torn up, as shown below. I expect the whole thing will be torn up in the next few days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custis closed.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	18203
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	custis 2.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	18201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	custis 1.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	18202

Post Thanks / Like

Finally hit the detour this am heading east - the signs for the bike detour are confusing, I wasn't sure if I should have turned right immediately after the bridge or continued straight. I opted for straight and hit the stairs (it wasn't just confusing for me since I saw several other cyclists continue on and then turn around like I did).

If I hadn't known I should have used the sidewalk once I hit Lee, that would have been confusing too. I didn't mind the sidewalk although I'm sure slowing down for pedestrians annoys a lot of pathletes.

Edit - the SO didn't even see the first (bike-specific) detour and continued on to the steps.
    Last edited by Tania; 08-06-2018 at 11:52 AM.

10. Likes dasgeh, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had almost forgotten that strange bike lane to nowhere on Lee that starts at Wayne and ends at Daniel. It connects to nothing, they put it in after it's needed (would be nice to have up the little rise from Veitch), and it stops before it's needed prior to the light at Kirkwood to connect to the trail past the shopping center, but it's a welcome little refuge on part of the westward trip around the closed trail.
    Last edited by huskerdont; 08-07-2018 at 07:27 AM.

12. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Early this morning, when it was still dark, I took the detour for the first time. I was going westward. I had no trouble finding Veitch. Thank you VA for putting up street signs, not like the trouble I had following a route due to the Purple line construction in MD. Then I turned right on 18th, and again right on Cleveland and jogged left onto Calvert. At the bottom of the hill I saw a locked gate with a long explanation. I said to myself, this is odd. Why did they lock the gate. Well it looks like I will have to take the longer detour. Thankfully I turned around to the right and saw the path I was supposed to take.
    Last edited by ursus; 08-08-2018 at 02:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Was happy to show a nonlocal the shortest detour route yesterday. He was trying to get to Fairfax on a hybrid and, though I don't think English was his first language, he was pretty clear that he wanted the shortest route possible. He also complemented my *stylish* Nashbar SPD cycling sandals. Nice chap, good day.

15. Likes dasgeh, Erin Potter, Judd, Steve O liked this post