Likes Likes:  68
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Custis Trail Work - July 30 - August 24 - portions of trail closed

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Why not just take Scott St to 21st, which then crosses Lee Hwy to become Veitch? I've often gone that way with no problem.
    Scott - Veitch doesn't get your around the trail work, which is west of Veitch. You could take Scott - Veitch to avoid going on the sidewalk/trail beside Mom's, but it's like double the distance and that sidewalk/trail is super wide (save the STUPID curb cuts at Uhle)

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Now seeing that Veitch is being resurfaced. Yay for getting bike lanes (or so I heard on the Twitter), but that makes for a less than ideal detour while the work is being done.
    We've been told the project *probably* won't start until the detour is over. Yes, we asked the County to coordinate and look into these issues. They did look into them, but they didn't coordinate so well.

Note there's also an Orange/Silver line closure during this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I would love to see your street route home. Some nights I just can't take the Pathletes.
    Sorry for the late response ... I have been behind in my forum reading.

I work in Rosslyn, so I start out on 19th St. into Key Blvd. Just where Key swings north and becomes Scott St. I take the secret trail with the harrowing drop through the apartment complex to connect to the next section of Key Blvd at Rhodes St. Then it's Key Blvd. -> Jackson St. -> 13th. St. -> Quincy and from there I take a number of different routes to get to the W&OD.

4. Likes Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like that for a month, the Bridge to Nowhere goes nowhere at either end.

6. Likes Steve O, Kitty, Erin Potter, bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just grateful to have caught the news now (thanks Erin!) Mr. Kitty has been hitting Curtis near-daily as part of his friends routine, and I think he'll appreciate the heads-up.

As for the detours, these things are always a bother, but I'm looking forward to the improvements that will come of it! All the better if they can use this time to address the tree root bumps as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The trail work had not started for this AMs commute, but is (to use dasgeh's word) impending. Katy (WalkArlington) and I got to be harbingers of impending construction this AM as we tried to help Parks get the word out with a trailside pop-up. Nice to wave hi to some of y'all!

Scouting around, the "Better Detour" recommended by some users of this forum had been spray chalked, too...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180730_074353.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	18172

So mysterious...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    Scouting around, the "Better Detour" recommended by some users of this forum had been spray chalked, too...

So mysterious...
    That's on me.

10. Likes Judd, Steve O, Sunyata, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trail closed and detour sign was up this morning... But once you got up the hill on the connector street... You were on your own.

I am grateful that I know that area fairly well, otherwise, I would have been more than a little lost. Come on Arlington, we can do better than this.

12. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Trail closed and detour sign was up this morning... But once you got up the hill on the connector street... You were on your own.

I am grateful that I know that area fairly well, otherwise, I would have been more than a little lost. Come on Arlington, we can do better than this.
    Yupppp. Sending an email to the project manager this AM. The same was true for the Key Blvd detour, which is more confusing if you're not familiar with the area.

14. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    Yupppp. Sending an email to the project manager this AM. The same was true for the Key Blvd detour, which is more confusing if you're not familiar with the area.
    At the time Sunyata and I rode by this morning, the signs should have been covered, since the detour was not completely marked. I just got word that the detour signs are now complete sets, with all turns marked. If you take one this evening or tomorrow, please let me know your thoughts. The actual trail demo is scheduled to begin tomorrow. And be nice to any lost trail users you may encounter.

16. Likes Judd, dasgeh, ursus liked this post