Likes Likes:  68
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custis Trail Work - July 30 - August 24 - portions of trail closed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Custis Trail Work - July 30 - August 24 - portions of trail closed

Beginning on July 30, Arlington Parks and Recreation will work with a contractor to repair the Custis Trail substructure between North Adams Street and McCoy Park, that cause the undulations near the pedestrian flyover bridge (colloquially known as the bridge to nowhere). This portion of the trail will be CLOSED during this time. Arlington Parks and Recreation will be posting signed detours for people walking and people biking.

More details on the project page.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custis Trail Closure Flyer.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	18164
    Last edited by Erin Potter; 07-25-2018 at 01:34 PM. Reason: getting my dates straight

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Will miss the winter ice moguls if this work actually fixes the problem.

3. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aww... No more "saggy-pants asphalt hammocks" as some other forumite once hilariously christened the Custis Moguls.

5. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yuck. The detour is going to dump the entire Custis traffic onto my favorite street route home. The whole reason I take Key Blvd is to avoid the Lycranauts, Cat 6 racers, eBikers, and other common Custis pests.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the suggested detour is ... not great. This is what I would suggest (and what was discussed at the June BAC meeting):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custis moguls BAC detour.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	18165

Note this has westbound folk using 18th, leaving Key for accordioneur in the evenings.

I can't believe they're insisting on routing folks on the Lee sidewalk. FWIW, Arlington asked VDOT for permission to take the lane on Lee, like they're doing down the hill (a mere 1/3 mile away), but VDOT said no, without articulating a reason that made sense. I've been in discussions about this detour for a while, and this is the first I've seen of that bump to 20th using Adams and Vance for westbound people. No idea why that's there, or why, if you're going to do that, you don't continue on 20th St to Veitch (it's a cute street - tiny for cars, but perfect for bikes. You should check it out). I also don't understand why they've marked 2 bike routes, but no "pedestrian route" that's ADA accessible (that dotted blue line involves a bunch of stairs).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    FWIW, Arlington asked VDOT for permission to take the lane on Lee, like they're doing down the hill (a mere 1/3 mile away), but VDOT said no, without articulating a reason that made sense.
    VDOT could not care less about anything other than LOS

9. Likes Steve O liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    VDOT could not care less about anything other than LOS
    True, but on this stretch, there are 3 lanes for <6k trips/day. Crazy. Plus, the road is currently two lanes all the way from Lynn to Scott, and there are no traffic issues. Veitch doesn't dump more traffic onto Lee than I66 siphons off. And Lee goes down to 2 lanes again at Kenmore. It really shouldn't not have been a big ask.

11. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my favorite part of the trail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    Yuck. The detour is going to dump the entire Custis traffic onto my favorite street route home. The whole reason I take Key Blvd is to avoid the Lycranauts, Cat 6 racers, eBikers, and other common Custis pests.
    I would love to see your street route home. Some nights I just can't take the Pathletes.

Post Thanks / Like

So, yeah, part of that detour route is the way I used to go when the trail was icy before Arlington started plowing if I didn't feel up to taking Lee the whole way. It's hilly in places (mostly just up from Kirkwood) and longer, obvs. I'll either take the lane the whole length of Lee (terrifying at times), or go Chain Bridge. Probably do the neighborhoods at times, especially if errandeuring.
    Last edited by huskerdont; 07-26-2018 at 10:49 AM.