Likes Likes:  68
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Custis Trail Work - July 30 - August 24 - portions of trail closed

Post Thanks / Like

Lots and lots of dangerous stuff going on on N. Adams and the north-side Lee sidewalk each morning, unfortunately. Most people are electing to cyclocross carry the stairs, which is fine, but then about 50% are salmoning down the east side of N. Adams to hang a (blind) left onto the Lee Highway sidewalk. Of the remaining 50%, about half of them are riding down the right side of Adams most of the way, then electing to swing across in the intersection. Only a matter of time before someone gets pancaked by the MD-plated Uber drivers that rip around that corner.

For eastbound riders, the logical "legitimate" solution for those who want to walk the stairs is to take 20th east to where it ends on 21st/Veitch, then take 21st, which turns into Scott, thereby bypassing the secondary detour that is being put into place now. There is not a similar solution for westbound riders because of the one-way signage on 20th.

For all riders, the "pragmatic" solution which of course cannot be "officially" recommended, due to the involvement of private property, is to simply use the Potomac Towers parking lot access drive (which is effectively a two-lane road and handles an impressive amount of traffic daily) to cut from Adams to 21st/Veitch.

This is a tricky section to detour but I do hope that we get through the work without a major incident or injury. The County's "official" detour is well-intended, but my suspicions that adoption would be low have been confirmed by the masses seen carrying and riding on N. Adams each day (which is great, provided everyone keeps it safe).
    Last edited by arlrider; 08-10-2018 at 07:40 AM.

2. Likes huskerdont, streetsmarts liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlrider View Post
    Lots and lots of dangerous stuff going on on N. Adams and the north-side Lee sidewalk each morning, unfortunately. Most people are electing to cyclocross carry the stairs, which is fine, but then about 50% are salmoning down the east side of N. Adams to hang a (blind) left onto the Lee Highway sidewalk. Of the remaining 50%, about half of them are riding down the right side of Adams most of the way, then electing to swing across in the intersection. Only a matter of time before someone gets pancaked by the MD-plated Uber drivers that rip around that corner.

For eastbound riders, the logical "legitimate" solution for those who want to walk the stairs is to take 20th east to where it ends on 21st/Veitch, then take 21st, which turns into Scott, thereby bypassing the secondary detour that is being put into place now. There is not a similar solution for westbound riders because of the one-way signage on 20th.

For all riders, the "pragmatic" solution which of course cannot be "officially" recommended, due to the involvement of private property, is to simply use the Potomac Towers parking lot access drive (which is effectively a two-lane road and handles an impressive amount of traffic daily) to cut from Adams to 21st/Veitch.

This is a tricky section to detour but I do hope that we get through the work without a major incident or injury. The County's "official" detour is well-intended, but my suspicions that adoption would be low have been confirmed by the masses seen carrying and riding on N. Adams each day (which is great, provided everyone keeps it safe).
    Interesting. Adams is part of the official detour for westbound cyclists.... Anyway, it's a bad situation, any way you slice it. That detour sign that blocks half the sidewalk on the NE corner of Veitch and Lee is my personal least favorite.

Post Thanks / Like

The unnamed side street that parallels 29 between Cleveland and Calvert is full of glass.

East bound, I take Calvert to 29 and then the sidewalk down to just past MOM's where the trail hits. Westbound, sidewalk until I have a bike lane and then the bike lane to Calvert.

It's really NOT that big of a deal or even much of an inconvenience (once I figured out where to go).

Post Thanks / Like

Help?
    SO Wed. night I rode out the Custis West to the W&OD from Rosslyn. I followed one sign that said "detour", ended up taking my bike down the stairs, and it was no problem after that.

Tonight, I'm riding East again that way to see Accordioneur and his band play at Westover Beer Garden.

Has the detour route changed from Rosslyn to the 11th St. Exit from the Custis? I think that's how I'll get to Westover.
    [I'm not familiar enough with the Custis to know all the intersections you all describe in this thread.]

Any help you can offer is great!

Also, returning home (heading East ) on Wed night, I was confused by the signage- maybe it was at Lincoln Street. There was a sign that said "Detour" but I followed it and there was nothing. So I went back and just took the trail and I think it was fine.
    Maybe that's changed too....

Here's Dasgeh's map - should I use this?

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attach...611371&thumb=1
    Last edited by streetsmarts; 08-10-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

** EDITED*
    SO Wed. night I rode out the Custis West to the W&OD from Rosslyn. I followed one sign that said "detour", ended up taking my bike down the stairs, and it was no problem after that.

Tonight, I'm riding East again that way to see Accordioneur and his band play at Westover Beer Garden.

Has the detour route changed from Rosslyn to the 11th St. Exit from the Custis? I think that's how I'll get to Westover.
    [I'm not familiar enough with the Custis to know all the intersections you all describe in this thread.]

Any help you can offer is great!

Also, returning home (heading East ) on Wed night, I was confused by the signage- maybe it was at Lincoln Street. There was a sign that said "Detour" but I followed it and there was nothing. So I went back and just took the trail and I think it was fine.
    Maybe that's changed too....

Here's Dasgeh's map - should I use this?

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attach...611371&thumb=1[/QUOTE]

I looked at Dasgeh's map - and will try it tonight!

7. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

My map will give you a lower stress route. If you don't mind it, just take the lane then bike lane westbound on Lee Hwy westbound (that's what I do).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    My map will give you a lower stress route. If you don't mind it, just take the lane then bike lane westbound on Lee Hwy westbound (that's what I do).
    Got it. Thanks!

10. Likes Erin Potter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Curiosity was just too much, so I checked it out.

Here's the east end of the excavation. You can just see the Bridge to Nowhere towards the top right of the photo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mogulsend.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	18221

Bridge to nowhere. Gives you a sense of how deep they are taking the foundation

Name:	nowhere.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	18220

I was not the only one! Tire tracks. There is no way to get out at the west end, so these tracks were from a single bike rider who had to double back, like I did.

Name:	scofflaws.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	18219

12. Likes Judd, KWL, ursus, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    ...I was not the only one! Tire tracks...
    So there is at least one other person out there as crazy as Steve O.

14. Likes streetsmarts, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't *have* to double back. The bridge to nowhere kind of goes somewhere* if you're willing to treat your bike like a mountain bike.

*Not really. I wouldn't recommend it in general, but this is SteveO here. I haven't ridden back there in years, pre my Strava days. But if I was crazy enough to do it....

16. Likes run/bike liked this post