Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Solution for Trollheim

Post Thanks / Like

"Construction: Spring 2020 – Fall 2020 "

Don't see this without a detour, and I wonder what the detour could possibly be. If you thought folks complained about the detours this summer...

I'll stay with my morning route through Georgetown, but going home, I think I'll go back to Water Street and the steps to the upstream side of Key Bridge. Really don't want to ride M Street in afternoon traffic. I don't feel it's particularly unsafe; I just don't like picking my way through stopped traffic at 5 mph. But unless some accommodation can be made along the parkway, folks traveling through on the MVT are going to have a long detour.

Post Thanks / Like

If it makes trollheim and the MVT even marginally better, the detours will be worth it. I think by then we should be in our new office building down at the Wharf (!!!) so I can just take W&OD/FMR/MVT up to 14th street. Although I guess I could do that even if we haven't moved yet - it's only a few miles more.

(I too have really been digging Key in the am - the just dawn views can't be beat)

Post Thanks / Like

I take a ridiculous number of pics of that sunrise:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181112_063624.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	18600

For me, one option could certainly be FMR/W&OD home in the afternoons. I like that; I can just say the reason I did the extra miles is I didn't have a choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by huskerdont; 11-21-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    "Construction: Spring 2020 – Fall 2020 "
    This far out, this feels more like an approximate time frame rather than a construction schedule. Undoubtedly detours would be necessary, but I would think construction could be staged in such a way as to minimize the time during which it would be impossible to get both to the TR Bridge and the MVT from the TR Island parking lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    This is the part of the document which may be of interest (page 5-21):

MOUNT VERNON TRAIL BRIDGE 31
    • Repair and realign the Mount Vernon Trail Bridge 31 at the trail juncture,
    located south of the parking area (See Figure 162).
    • Replace and widen the bridge decking with non-weathering, textured,
    and well drained surfacing.
    • Install Mount Vernon Trail standard railings along all elevated portions of
    the Trail.
    • Clear the vegetation edge to improve sight distance. Improve wayfinding
    to give cyclists and pedestrians more advance warning on trail.

Starting on 7-29 they go through the detailed options with 4 possibilities.

LAND CIRCULATION – OFF-ISLAND TRAILS
    The Treatment Options for the Off-Island Trails pertain specifically to MVT
    Bridge 31, the elevated, decked portion of the MVT that beings approximately
    200 feet south of the Virginia approach to the TR Island pedestrian bridge. Four
    options were identified for the rehabilitation of Bridge 31. All alternatives would
    include horizontal realignment of the north end of Bridge 31, replacement of
    the bridge deck and railing to provide a smoother riding surface, and additional
    structure reinforcement to eliminate deck deflection.
    Do you have a link to this (these) documents? I could not find these quotes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Do you have a link to this (these) documents? I could not find these quotes.
    Main Page:
    https://parkplanning.nps.gov/documen...rojectID=67514

First pdf under document list:
    https://parkplanning.nps.gov/documen...cumentID=87000

7. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope they don't use this surface "solution." Plus it doesn't look rustic enough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02550.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	18608 Main Radweg, left bank next to the Rüsselsheim Opel plant.

Post Thanks / Like

This far out, this feels more like an approximate time frame rather than a construction schedule. Undoubtedly detours would be necessary, but I would think construction could be staged in such a way as to minimize the time during which it would be impossible to get both to the TR Bridge and the MVT from the TR Island parking lot.
    According to the project web page, "trail user traffic will be maintained during construction with the use of a detour" so here's hoping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    According to the project web page, "trail user traffic will be maintained during construction with the use of a detour" so here's hoping.
    More mulch!

11. Likes rcannon100, Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The documents were the EA presented preferred options, but there will still be some public engagement to review the results of the EA and comment on the alternatives. The preferred option for Trollheim is not the one that I would pick as it seems to have a strong bias towards the assumption that the most dangerous part of Trollheim is conflict between people going northbound wanting to turn left. Although this can be a challenge, it seems like the majority of crashes have been a result of slippery deck combined with the two angles one must turn when going north and south. Alternatives 1 and 2 better address this issue by providing the softest turn radius for north and south travelers.