Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Sometimes-Commuter - Tips/Etiquette/Advice?

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Also in Crystal City Where a bunch of us meet between 5 and 5:30 on Fridays at the waterpark for Friday's at the fountain. kcjewett has a great commute when it comes to coffee and beer on the ride.
    Guess where Judd is every Friday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

For future reference, where is the IoD? I'm also kind of confused about the best way to get from the north side of 50 to the South side. I've been going through on the overpass right by the War Memorial (pictured), but it's been a little hairy. Thoughts? Thanks!Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  44.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Thatís a pretty direct and mostly low stress route. I hope youíre enjoying your commute so far. Thereís a coffee club in The Crystal City Waterpark Tuesday mornings from 7ish to 8ish if you want to come hangout with other folks from the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Also in Crystal City Where a bunch of us meet between 5 and 5:30 on Fridays at the waterpark for Friday's at the fountain. kcjewett has a great commute when it comes to coffee and beer on the ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Guess where Judd is every Friday?
    Thanks guys, I appreciate how friendly everyone is and the good advice! I've been to the waterpark a couple times with work folks, I'll keep an eye out for ya!

Kevin

4. Likes Judd liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kcjewett View Post
    For future reference, where is the IoD? I'm also kind of confused about the best way to get from the north side of 50 to the South side. I've been going through on the overpass right by the War Memorial (pictured), but it's been a little hairy. Thoughts? Thanks!
    The Intersection of Doom is not on that map. It's the intersection of Lynn St and the westbound lanes of Lee Hwy/the off ramp from I66 (the eastbound have their own light there). The Custis Trail runs on the north side of Lee there, and has the "walk" signal when cars from westbound Lee/I66 ramp can turn right onto Lynn, creating a conflict.

So you've noticed that the only crossing of 50 is Meade Street. There's a project to improve the Meade Street Bridge, but it that design could be better. I couldn't hurt if someone wrote in and said that. I think the project is funded, but involves NPS, so is in a black hole.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kcjewett View Post
    I'm also kind of confused about the best way to get from the north side of 50 to the South side.
    You can go up and around to cross at Rhodes St. if you want. Further up, you can cross at Pershing and there's a trail running east from there.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    If you want to hang out with Judd, all you have to do is gather three or more cyclists in one place and mention beer or pie and Judd will appear

Now I have the sticker to prove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    You can go up and around to cross at Rhodes St. if you want. Further up, you can cross at Pershing and there's a trail running east from there.
    Yeh, this. If you start in Courthouse, use Rhodes Street to cross 50. Much more normal. And once on the southside it's a nice downhill to Meade. My daily route.