Likes Likes:  41
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disaster Relief Trials

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Is pocket Garmin recording or phone Strava recording permitted? I like recording everything but donít want to create the appearance that Iím violating the rules or the spirit of the exercise.
    How would they know?
    I can't see how if you record the ride for later review that would in any way violate the spirit of the exercise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smb9600 View Post
    Announcing the Disaster Relief Trials - September 29, 2018! The DRT simulates a disaster blocking roadways, forcing participants to use their bikes to transport food, water, and emergency supplies throughout Arlington while traversing obstacles, such as a physical barrier, water crossing, and rough terrain. Team/Individual and Cargo/Standard bike categories. Join us for the fun! Registration & more information at DRTArlington.com
    Although the date is included here, I might also recommend putting it on the web page, so people don't have to click through just to find out when it is.

3. Likes dasgeh, LeprosyStudyGroup, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Although the date is included here, I might also recommend putting it on the web page, so people don't have to click through just to find out when it is.
    Point taken, and will be shared back with the team.

5. Likes smb9600, Judd, dasgeh liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disaster Relief Trials

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    How would they know?
    I can't see how if you record the ride for later review that would in any way violate the spirit of the exercise.
    Oh, they have their ways. I talked to Samantha tonight and she told me that I was allowed to Strava because I am so handsome and dreamy.
    Last edited by Judd; 07-19-2018 at 12:36 AM.

7. Likes dasgeh, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    .... because I am so handsome and dreamy.
    Hmm, could have been beer goggling.

9. Likes smb9600, Emm, dasgeh, Steve O, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, thanks for all the early interest. We are very excited about this new event. Some clarification:

E-Assist: Yes, we reviewed other DRT events and saw some included e-assist categories. After much discussion we omitted this in the name of simplicity and to simulate a downed power grid. This will limit the number of categories and minimize the logistics to verifying the off-grid charging capabilities.

E-Assist bikes: Absolutely allowed, but with batteries removed. We have clarified this on the website.

As for it being a "Fitness Challenge" vibe, certainly there will be some element of that in any active lifestyle event. But we also have gone against the grain of other DRTs and removed the "race" aspect of event. While there is a 4-hour time limit, you get no bonus for additional speed under that time. So we encourage people to do what they can within that time and have fun with it.

Equity Assistance: We will be adding a discount for those who can't afford the entry fee. Stay tuned.

We want this to be an inclusive event, but also recognize there are many variable and unknowns. So when making the necessary choices, we tend to err on side of simplicity. Given this is an inaugural event, we will evaluate once it's over, welcome comments from the public and participants, and are open to changing things next year.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disaster Relief Trials

Hi All - we're seeking one more bike club/team to captain the water crossing checkpoint. If you know of any who may be interested, please contact me! (and if you haven't registered - what's stopping you )Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	18206
    Last edited by smb9600; 08-06-2018 at 03:39 PM.

12. Likes Erin Potter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Edit: water crossing checkpoint!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Will "rough terrain" be something my 64 yr-old dad can handle on his recumbent, either riding or walking? He doesn't have the best balance... though I suppose the meter high barrier might be a challenge too.
    Last edited by marci; Today at 12:49 PM.

15. Likes Judd liked this post