Likes Likes:  195
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disaster Relief Trials

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disaster Relief Trials

Announcing the Disaster Relief Trials - September 29, 2018! The DRT simulates a disaster blocking roadways, forcing participants to use their bikes to transport food, water, and emergency supplies throughout Arlington while traversing obstacles, such as a physical barrier, water crossing, and rough terrain. Team/Individual and Cargo/Standard bike categories. Join us for the fun! Registration & more information at DRTArlington.com

2. Likes dasgeh, Judd, Emm, creadinger liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Cargo bike olympics!!! Hooray!!!

EDIT: I was so excited that they have a family category, but then I saw this:

No electric assist bicycles will be allowed.
    So much for inclusivity... (Other trials have an ebike category)
    Last edited by dasgeh; 07-17-2018 at 04:05 PM.

4. Dislikes Dewey disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Cargo bike olympics!!! Hooray!!!

EDIT: I was so excited that they have a family category, but then I saw this:

So much for inclusivity... (Other trials have an ebike category)
    I think the thought behind this is to truly simulate a disaster. In many disasters, access to electricity to charge e-bikes will be limited, if not impossible to find. I believe this is also why the use of GPS devices (including smart phones) is prohibited.

If you want to participate but do not have a non-e-bike cargo bike, I bet we can find one for you to use. Or, maybe you could just take the battery off the one you have? I know it is heavy and probably not a whole lot of fun to ride around with kids and simulated food/medical supplies, but this sounds like an awesome event and it would be great to support one of our own who spent over two years planning and preparing for this really cool way to help more people realize that bikes can be used for something other than just recreation.

6. Likes Judd, hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    I think the thought behind this is to truly simulate a disaster. In many disasters, access to electricity to charge e-bikes will be limited, if not impossible to find. I believe this is also why the use of GPS devices (including smart phones) is prohibited.

If you want to participate but do not have a non-e-bike cargo bike, I bet we can find one for you to use. Or, maybe you could just take the battery off the one you have? I know it is heavy and probably not a whole lot of fun to ride around with kids and simulated food/medical supplies, but this sounds like an awesome event and it would be great to support one of our own who spent over two years planning and preparing for this really cool way to help more people realize that bikes can be used for something other than just recreation.
    We're not the first place to do this, and in other places, they have an ebike category, where you have to show off-grid charging capability. In other words, the way you would use ebikes in a disaster. I'm not sure why they're making this change, and excluding a bunch of folks who have the bikes that will help in a disaster. (Unless it's just a fitness test, in which case, meh).

Also, if the policy is that an ebike can be used without battery in the normal category, that's great. They should just say that. About 90% of the cargo bikes I can think of have eassist now. Not that I know everyone, but I know a lot of them, and many add it because kids keep growing.

8. Likes Dewey, Steve O liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smb9600 View Post
    Announcing the Disaster Relief Trials - September 29, 2018! The DRT simulates a disaster blocking roadways, forcing participants to use their bikes to transport food, water, and emergency supplies throughout Arlington while traversing obstacles, such as a physical barrier, water crossing, and rough terrain. Team/Individual and Cargo/Standard bike categories. Join us for the fun! Registration & more information at DRTArlington.com
    Hooray! Iím so glad to see that this happening. Might have to finally get the front rack and pannier set up.

Thanks for putting this together Samantha.

Post Thanks / Like

We're not the first place to do this, and in other places, they have an ebike category, where you have to show off-grid charging capability. In other words, the way you would use ebikes in a disaster. I'm not sure why they're making this change, and excluding a bunch of folks who have the bikes that will help in a disaster. (Unless it's just a fitness test, in which case, meh).

Also, if the policy is that an ebike can be used without battery in the normal category, that's great. They should just say that. About 90% of the cargo bikes I can think of have eassist now. Not that I know everyone, but I know a lot of them, and many add it because kids keep growing.
    Have you tried e-mailing Samantha and making the case for e-assist bikes to not be excluded?

11. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is pocket Garmin recording or phone Strava recording permitted? I like recording everything but donít want to create the appearance that Iím violating the rules or the spirit of the exercise.

13. Likes josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have your own mounted chainsaw you should be able to go around the simulated downed trees.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	natural.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	18147
    For natural disasters

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zombie.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	18148
    For zombie disasters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Have you tried e-mailing Samantha and making the case for e-assist bikes to not be excluded?
    I've reached out through channels, this being one of the channels. (I don't have her email address, but if you want to connect us, that would be great).

16. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've reached out through channels, this being one of the channels. (I don't have her email address, but if you want to connect us, that would be great).
    Sent you a message with her work contact info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Likes dasgeh liked this post