Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E-Bike options! Juiced vs Stromer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I’ll let you know how it goes. Once this forum has a Juiced and a Rad, we can do all sorts of comparisons.
    ... and races!

2. Likes Judd, ebubar liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    ... and races!

Regardless of what one thinks about e-bikes and what level of power is acceptable or not in various scenarios, it seems like nearly all the bikes these guys sell fall well outside what might be called "legal" in terms of meeting the federal definition of a bicycle. Frankly, this strikes me a huge liability and I'm shocked they can stay in business. Most of their bikes would be classified as mopeds, and several would be full on motorcycles under most state laws. There's some gray area there, but they don't even seem to acknowledge that on their website. Like, if people are willing to spend $10k on a 5000w "bike," more power to them, but you'd expect there'd be some disclaimer like "we can't actually call this a bicycle; you will probably be breaking the law if you don't register and insure this thing in your state; you definitely can't ride it on any bike/ped trails."

In the interest of making this relevant to this threat and not the other one...make sure you're buying from a reputable dealer and you have a firm grasp on the laws in your area before buying your e-bike.
    Last edited by TwoWheelsDC; 07-25-2018 at 01:08 PM.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

While I agree with that sentiment, it doesn't sound like there's much you can do legally with an e-bike on DC-area cycling infrastructure. In which case, I say embrace the road and go all in with 9,000 watts!

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    While I agree with that sentiment, it doesn't sound like there's much you can do legally with an e-bike on DC-area cycling infrastructure. In which case, I say embrace the road and go all in with 9,000 watts!
    In Virginia, you can ride on all the trails and such, so there's plenty to do. With Jump being associated with Uber, I'd expect more changes on the horizon.

Post Thanks / Like

Except the MVT, right? And the NVRPA-run W&OD is certainly open to interpretation.

But it's good you can at least use the bike lanes in VA. Of course, TwoWheels is in DC, so that's not gonna help him too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    In Virginia, you can ride on all the trails and such, so there's plenty to do. With Jump being associated with Uber, I'd expect more changes on the horizon.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Except the MVT, right? And the NVRPA-run W&OD is certainly open to interpretation.

But it's good you can at least use the bike lanes in VA. Of course, TwoWheels is in DC, so that's not gonna help him too much.

You can use the trails owned by Arlington County and the City of Alexandria I am pretty sure (so Custis, Holmes Run, Four Mile Run, Eisenhower trail, PY trail, etc) and of course all the bike lanes - feel free to ride your ebikes up and down the King Street lanes!

8. Likes hozn, Judd liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how NVRPA can violate state law, so W&OD is fine (and ACPD agrees).

DC law says:
    1201.18Except as otherwise permitted for a motor vehicle, no person shall operate a motorized bicycle on any sidewalk or any off-street bikepath or bicycle route within the District. This prohibition shall apply even though the motorized bicycle is being operated solely by human power.
    1201.19A motorized bicycle may be operated on any part of a roadway designated for the use of bicycles.
    If a bike lane is a "bicycle route", ebikes aren't allowed, but I don't see that in the law. Otherwise, a bike lane really seems like "part of a roadway designated for the use of bicycles."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I don't see how NVRPA can violate state law, so W&OD is fine (and ACPD agrees).

DC law says:

If a bike lane is a "bicycle route", ebikes aren't allowed, but I don't see that in the law. Otherwise, a bike lane really seems like "part of a roadway designated for the use of bicycles."
    Well, you're the lawyer. Though it would seem odd to me that they would specify that they are disallowed both on "off-street bikepaths" *and* on "bicycle routes" if you're implying that "bicycle routes" are also off-street bike paths.

This is also contrary to what the DC gov't says in their synopsis. https://dmv.dc.gov/sites/default/fil...le%20chart.pdf

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Bringing this back around...Iím really interested to hear about the long-term quality of the Juiced. I donít doubt that the components on a Trek Super Commuter or whatever are nicer than a CrossCurrent (or a Rad), but your typical Specialized or Trek is twice the price of a typical Juiced (and lacks a throttle and is less powerful). Is a Bosch or Shimano mid-drive system really that much better?

I gambled on ďno,Ē and weíll see how that turns out, but Iím curious what othersí experiences are.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Can we keep the arguing about e-bikes in the ďLetís argue about e-bikes thread?Ē Like TwoWheels, Iím interested and seeing how ebubar likes his sweet new bike and how it performs as the temperature drops.

13. Likes Emm, Sunyata liked this post