Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Laurel to North Arlington (Marymount)

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ebubar View Post
    All good ideas! I do have the option to carpool with my other half to her office at UMD and bike from there. That's a more manageable 30 mile roundtrip, which works well. But if I can ebike in similar time without any time in the car, i'd like that option
    I just can't get myself to do the e-bike thing. It doesn't really make sense, I know. If I'm willing to drive or metro part of the way on a mega-commute, why am I not willing to e-bike the whole way? I guess I like being able to Strava my rides without an asterisk. Maybe I fear the day that all bike trails just become roads for e-bikes and regular cyclists are shoved off to the shoulder of the trail. Surely that's already begining to happen in some places around here. Please, e-bike responsibly.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    College Park
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by closebr View Post
    I just can't get myself to do the e-bike thing. It doesn't really make sense, I know. If I'm willing to drive or metro part of the way on a mega-commute, why am I not willing to e-bike the whole way? I guess I like being able to Strava my rides without an asterisk. Maybe I fear the day that all bike trails just become roads for e-bikes and regular cyclists are shoved off to the shoulder of the trail. Surely that's already begining to happen in some places around here. Please, e-bike responsibly.
    Ignore closebr. I, for one, welcome encouraging people to ride (even on a ebike) 50 mile round-trip commutes rather than sitting in a 4000lbs steel tank on the beltway

  3. Likes dasgeh, Sunyata liked this post
  4. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I don't have much to contribute other than to request that you're on my FS team this winter.
    Sorry not sorry, but he's Team Maryland, so he stays with us.

    Alternatively, Lynn, you, and he are a team of 3 versus all the rest of the teams (of 10-12 members). Y'all would have a fighting chance, if not win

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    College Park
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here are three different possible routes:

    1) 33 miles, longer but significantly fewer lights
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28047803

    2) 30 miles, ART to E Cap
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28047820

    3) 32 miles, ART to S Cap
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28047829

    I don't know NoVA very well, so take the route west of the Potomac with a heavy dose of salt.

  6. Likes ebubar liked this post
  7. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    College Park
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you go through Beltsville, be extra careful of the 4way stop on Rhode Island and Sellman. As stupid as RI and Route 1 in Beltsville is, that intersection North of it is worse

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  8. Likes ebubar liked this post
  9. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Here are three different possible routes:

    1) 33 miles, longer but significantly fewer lights
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28047803

    2) 30 miles, ART to E Cap
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28047820

    3) 32 miles, ART to S Cap
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28047829

    I don't know NoVA very well, so take the route west of the Potomac with a heavy dose of salt.
    These are all very solid routes. Here are some other suggestions:
    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  100.7 KB

  10. Likes Brett L. liked this post
  11. #17
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,428
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    You said this, and I just wanted to highlight it. Still, be prepared for some ... er, critique?... from people who hate ebikes blowing by them at 20+ on multi-use trails like CCT, Anacostia Riverwalk, Met Branch, or the Custis. Fair warning.
    Oh, this again. As someone whom the roadies FLY by when I'm going 20mph on ebike on the Custis daily, I'll put in a plug for being responsible trail user -- slow when passing others, so that the difference in speed is reasonable, leaving plenty of space when you pass, and not riding faster than you can see/stop. Otherwise, ride where you feel is best for your circumstances.

    If you end up averaging 15 on a trail because of the times you slow for others, that still may save you time over a lot of stopping on the roads, but you'll just have to figure it out.

  12. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Takoma Park, MD
    Posts
    375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Here are three different possible routes:

    1) 33 miles, longer but significantly fewer lights
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28047803

    2) 30 miles, ART to E Cap
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28047820

    3) 32 miles, ART to S Cap
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28047829

    I don't know NoVA very well, so take the route west of the Potomac with a heavy dose of salt.
    Thanks a bunch! These all look like viable options. Especially with an ebike propelling me along at a decent average speed if I can avoid lots of stops!

  13. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Takoma Park, MD
    Posts
    375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by closebr View Post
    These are all very solid routes. Here are some other suggestions:
    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  100.7 KB
    Heat maps FTW! Pondering the Garmin 520 Plus which supposedly has these heat maps built in to recommend good routes based on garmin's treasure trove of riding data.

  14. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    College Park
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    But in all seriousness, a completed ICC trail and/or a completed Purple Line Trail (that actually continues to at least UMD in PG County, and not just to MoCo boundaries) would make your commute much simpler. Some of Closebr's route suggestions include riding on Powdermill/Riggs or riding on the sidewalk of 29.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •