Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: where to report overgrown sidewalk in Arlington

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I know Arlington does have some sort of program to put in sidewalks after-the-fact. Guy I know used to work in that department and once described some of the hoops they needed to jump through to get anything done. (Understandable considering that in old neighborhoods, new sidewalks can cut through plantings, trees, etc.)

Also if there is a sidewalk, that means the property owner has to clear it of snow. That is one reason they are often opposed. Alexandria has a program to add sidewalks too, but also looks at what neighbors think - and prioritizes "through" routes on busier streets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Fairfax has the same problem. It is a consequence of when the property was (re-)developed and whether the developer was required to put in sidewalks or not at the time.

What, you think the County is responsible for building sidewalks?
    I love when there's like 100 feet of sidewalk in front of the entrance to a new development, with crash barriers on either end.

3. Likes bentbike33, huskerdont, Steve O liked this post
    baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I know Arlington does have some sort of program to put in sidewalks after-the-fact. Guy I know used to work in that department and once described some of the hoops they needed to jump through to get anything done. (Understandable considering that in old neighborhoods, new sidewalks can cut through plantings, trees, etc.)
    I this is it: https://projects.arlingtonva.us/prog...plete-streets/

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    Where, if anywhere, could one report shrubs growing out over the sidewalk? This is not on a road or a trail. It doesn't match any of the categories here:
    https://topics.arlingtonva.us/reportproblem/

I thought that sidewalks were a right of way. These shrubs are out at least 50% into the sidewalk.
    Sidewalks? SIDEWALKS! You should feel lucky you have sidewalks! Why in my neighborhood all we have is the shrubs - no sidewalks! - and we like it! I mean - cut to the quick if you ask me - without the sidewalks then the shrubs cant block the sidewalks. That way the space that would go to the sidewalks can go to the White Audis and they can pretend they are at Le Mans. Why did you know that back in 19odd40s when they designed Arlington, they made it so all the roads go no where. That way when the Soviets tried to get to the Pentagon, they couldnt find it. Where would would be with Sidewalks? Bunch of Reds wandering around Arlington telling people they have to shovel their sidewalks - that's where we would be!

BTW if you took Hunz's advice and called the popo, they would give you a ticket for riding your bike into the shrubbery.

Last edited by rcannon100; 07-12-2018 at 03:31 PM.

6. Likes dasgeh, bentbike33, josh, hozn, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Sidewalks? SIDEWALKS! You should feel lucky you have sidewalks! Why in my neighborhood all we have is the shrubs - no sidewalks! - and we like it! I mean - cut to the quick if you ask me - without the sidewalks then the shrubs cant block the sidewalks. That way the space that would go to the sidewalks can go to the White Audis and they can pretend they are at Le Mans. Why did you know that back in 19odd40s when they designed Arlington, they made it so all the roads go no where. That way when the Soviets tried to get to the Pentagon, they couldnt find it. Where would would be with Sidewalks? Bunch of Reds wandering around Arlington telling people they have to shovel their sidewalks - that's where we would be!

BTW if you took Hunz's advice and called the popo, they would give you a ticket for riding your bike into the shrubbery.
    Ok, now I know you’re not ok.

8. Likes LhasaCM, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was certain that was posted late at night during prime drinking time, but it says 3:24.

10. Likes hozn liked this post