Likes Likes:  34
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: where to report overgrown sidewalk in Arlington

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a Lumberjack ambling round these parts, maybe I can give him a holler ?

2. Likes Judd, streetsmarts, lordofthemark, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    I've seen a Lumberjack ambling round these parts, maybe I can give him a holler ?
    He's a lumberjack and he's okay...

4. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Yeah, sorry; it sounds like my sarcasm actually sounded like reasonable advice to my fellow Arlingtonians. You should not call the police. As my well-trained kids would say: woman up. Talk to the owner or f*king deal with the great inconvenience this causes you.

I do love Arlington. But holy f*k. And get your bike off the sidewalk.
    Yeah, probably too much Nextdoor. And I'll get my bike off the sidewalk when there are safe alternatives for when I bike with my kids. <I don't know anyone who chooses the sidewalk because they like it.>

6. Likes lordofthemark, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[crunch, crunch...] damn, all out of popcorn. BERIGHTBACk.

Post Thanks / Like

Difficult to ride on sidewalks in Arlington anyway because they keep disappearing. Seriously, in my N. Arlington neighborhood, some blocks of some streets have them, then the next block doesn't. Sometimes it's even within the same block where they disappear. Our next-door neighbor has a sidewalk, but he's the only one on the street who does. WTF?

9. Likes bentbike33, LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Difficult to ride on sidewalks in Arlington anyway because they keep disappearing. Seriously, in my N. Arlington neighborhood, some blocks of some streets have them, then the next block doesn't. Sometimes it's even within the same block where they disappear. Our next-door neighbor has a sidewalk, but he's the only one on the street who does. WTF?
    Fairfax has the same problem. It is a consequence of when the property was (re-)developed and whether the developer was required to put in sidewalks or not at the time.

What, you think the County is responsible for building sidewalks?

11. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so tired of snarky responses on the internet.

13. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Dislikes LeprosyStudyGroup disliked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    I'm so tired of snarky responses on the internet.
    Where would you prefer your snarky responses?

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Eh, What bentbike says about why they disappear. But more importantly most of the sidewalks that most riders need to ride, are on major arterials (where many jurisdictions prioritize sidewalk connectivity) and/or only need to be ridden for a block or two (past an issue of connectivity in the "comfortable" route network) Though of course if you need to ride with a little kid, you may need more sidewalk then that. Of course that is the same issue that pedestrians face. The sidewalk I mentioned above on King Street, is also one I walk on, overgrown vegetation can be just about as annoying to a walker as to rider.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 07-12-2018 at 12:16 PM.

16. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Fairfax has the same problem. It is a consequence of when the property was (re-)developed and whether the developer was required to put in sidewalks or not at the time.

What, you think the County is responsible for building sidewalks?
    I know Arlington does have some sort of program to put in sidewalks after-the-fact. Guy I know used to work in that department and once described some of the hoops they needed to jump through to get anything done. (Understandable considering that in old neighborhoods, new sidewalks can cut through plantings, trees, etc.)