Likes Likes:  38
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Beware: Open season on cyclists at the Intersection of Doom

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a dream last night that vdot installed a diagonal road from Lynn/Lee to the GW Parkway north ramp so that there was an additional intersection to cross between Lynn and Ft Myer. Woke up in a cold sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikoglaces View Post
    That's a dangerous intersection. I am very cautious entering it. I did the math years ago (started bike commuting 24 years ago), and thought that if I want to live through hundreds of times crossing that intersection I'd better be cautious. I have never been hit there yet (though I did end up on the hood of a car just two blocks from there, at Oak St.).
    You sound like someone who understands that the probability of safely getting through a dangerous situation once is not the same as getting through the same situation 100s of times. I think we're fairly poor at intuiting that, in general.

4. Likes Steve O liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    I had a dream last night that vdot installed a diagonal road from Lynn/Lee to the GW Parkway north ramp so that there was an additional intersection to cross between Lynn and Ft Myer. Woke up in a cold sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "In dreams begin responsibilities" - Delmore Schwartz

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to expand the nomenclature, as it's not just one intersection: Rosslyn is a full-on neighborhood of doom (NOD). Getting from Custis to my office at Wilson & Kent is a daily exercise in terror. Except, that is, for the days when I come up the MVT and have to swim upstream against the peloton that gathers at the IOD and then bombs down the MVT ramp when the light changes. My other routes (Wilson Blvd, ey Blvd) are equally hairy.

I know the county has some projects in the works to improve Rosslyn's bikeability, but they won't do much to improve my Rosslyn ride.