Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyft buying Motivate

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lyft buying Motivate

Capital Bikeshare's owner Motivate is reportedly being bought by Lyft.

2. Dislikes rcannon100 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Capital Bikeshare's owner Motivate is reportedly being bought by Lyft.
    Or is it Uber.

4. Likes Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Or is it Uber.
    Starting a GoFundMe to buy Motivate...

6. Likes chris_s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lyft acquire Motivate.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a point of clarification that Motivate has the contract to operate Capital Bikeshare but doesnít own Capital Bikeshare.

9. Likes Rod Smith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lyft fund massive expansion of New York’s Citi Bikeshare program, $100million to triple the number of bikes hopefully this will bring operating costs down for their other systems eg Motivate group buy discount on ebikes to expand DC’s fleet https://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-m...n-citi-bike#/0
    Last edited by Dewey; 12-01-2018 at 05:49 PM.

11. Likes LhasaCM, Judd, Yule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I hope they fix this ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Citi.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	18614

13. Likes LhasaCM, Dewey, Judd, Sunyata, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Mayor de Blasio Announces Dramatic Expansion Of Citi Bike
    November 29, 2018

[...] doubling Citi Bike's service area and tripling the number of bikes in the next five years [...]
    Can we get a push for a doubling of service area and tripling of bikes in the system, too? CaBi coverage area is decent but IMO leaves much to be desired if the goal is to be a comprehensive regional system, which it should be (why not?).

New York City had reached an agreement
    Nice to be able to do that. Meanwhile, there are seven or so different jurisdictions with a hand in Capital Bikeshare, four major ones: Arlington, Alexandria, District of Columbia, and the federal government (i.e., stations on public land like the Mall) (?).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yule View Post
    Can we get a push for a doubling of service area and tripling of bikes in the system, too? CaBi coverage area is decent but IMO leaves much to be desired if the goal is to be a comprehensive regional system, which it should be (why not?).

Nice to be able to do that. Meanwhile, there are seven or so different jurisdictions with a hand in Capital Bikeshare, four major ones: Arlington, Alexandria, District of Columbia, and the federal government (i.e., stations on public land like the Mall) (?).
    It would be a pretty drastic change in the structure of CaBi. CaBi is owned by multiple jurisdictions in the area and is operated as public transportation. The jurisdictions purchase the stations and pay into operating costs. Fees do not fully cover operating and equipment expenses.

Citi Bike is a public private partnership but the system is owned by a subsidiary company of Motivate and not NYC. Citibank paid some bucks for naming rights. Membership is also twice as much as CaBi at $165 a year, although that includes unlimited 45 minute trips instead of CaBiís 30.

Under the current structure, Motivate/Lyft doesnít have much incentive to outlay funds to expand CaBi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    CaBi is owned by multiple jurisdictions in the area and is operated as public transportation. The jurisdictions purchase the stations and pay into operating costs. [...]

Under the current structure, Motivate/Lyft doesn’t have much incentive to outlay funds to expand CaBi.
    I suppose there is good and bad to Capital Bikeshare being a government-subsidized public service.

Still, someone somewhere along the chain of command(s), government(s) in this case and not the private company Motivate, needs some vision to really commit to getting the system to be comprehensive, and usable beyond the two Metro corridors. A very large share of both the Arlington population and the land area are still unserved by Capital Bikeshare. Another big push is needed, like this NYC mayor announcement. But I am highly biased as a CaBi fan.

Note: Arlington has 6 stations to be (theoretically) installed soon (designated on the map with '19,' i.e., 2019), and almost twenty more designated (in green) as "potential future sites" in the Capital Bikeshare expansion Google Map layer. Even these new six incoming and the possible twenty would still be a bare-bones attempt at reasonably comprehensive county coverage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arlington Capital Bikeshare expansion map as of December 2018.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	18634

17. 12-07-2018, 09:31 AM

I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.