Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: June 2018 Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    You mean the passing lane? </elite>

The paving appears to be finished now https://twitter.com/WODTrail/status/1007726108576567297.

Post Thanks / Like

The towpath out toward the west is pretty rough for those planning a long ride. Past mile 80 it looks like the river topped the towpath and dropped several inches of mud and downed some trees across the trail. This seems to be river bottom silt, so it's fragrant and very attractive to the flies. Where it was thick it was like riding through concrete, where it was thin it was slippery like riding on phlegm. Also, with all the rain, the mosquitoes are out in clouds--I'm looking at 5 bites on my right hand and three on my left as a type this, and that was after I sprayed...

There are some detours and closures posted: https://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/conditions.htm Bottom line: as much as I love bike camping on the towpath, I'll wait at least a month before going out again. That said, I did run into a couple of long distance riders, including one who was a bit over 100 miles in from Cumberland through all that--helmet's off to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Tree down on the MVT just south of the railroad bridge. Single lane available. NPS GWMP notified by twitter

4. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Tree down on the MVT just south of the railroad bridge. Single lane available. NPS GWMP notified by twitter
    There was a crew there working on it by 7:45. Looked like a pretty big part of the tree came down.

I actually thought this was all on purpose and wondered why they did major tree trimming during the morning rush without putting cones or any other warnings out. It makes much more sense now.

6. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The hailstones mostly did not stick to the sidepath on 28th. I did not venture on the Boulder creek trail in the hail. I am walking this evening, having gotten in my ride yesterday and it might hail again, and I don't want to ride in hail (plus I would probably have to walk as much to and from the bike share stations anyway)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180618_182627.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	18038

8. Likes Steve O, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reports of high water along the W&OD shared with BikeArlington on Instagram this afternoon: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkOHwvmnGv3/?taken-by=atopanoname

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	18046
    Anyone see anything similar?

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

There was slick mud underneath the underpasses on Four Mile Run Trail between Shirlington and Mt. Vernon Ave tonight.

11. Likes Erin Potter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    There was slick mud underneath the underpasses on Four Mile Run Trail between Shirlington and Mt. Vernon Ave tonight.
    If you happen to ride by and it's still there, snap a picture and send it my way (or to trailsATarlingtonva.us)-- Parks & Rec has been pretty good about clearing mud once they are notified about it.

13. Likes Judd, dasgeh, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    If you happen to ride by and it's still there, snap a picture and send it my way (or to trailsATarlingtonva.us)-- Parks & Rec has been pretty good about clearing mud once they are notified about it.
    If only there were some way to guess when there might be mud...

Post Thanks / Like

15th Street cycletrack between L and M is finally OPEN. It looks like L Street between 16th and 15th is about to open up as well; I'll check it out tonight, but it appeared most of the barricades have been removed.

This is the site of the (former) WaPo building, where construction created the worst "safe passage" failure in the city. Oh happy day.

16. Likes MrTinDC, kwarkentien liked this post