Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: June 2018 Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

No wonder Hains Point was closed on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/JacobFenston/sta...81822546919426

Post Thanks / Like

All clear this morning on MVT from 4MR to 14th, including the part of 4MR that us underwater yesterday.
    Hains Point, too.

3. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For those venturing up the C&O Canal towpath, I wanted to share that the trail between around milepost 16 and 20 is pretty badly damaged from the river spilling up and over the towpath from the rains earlier this week. I commute down this trail into DC and, unfortunately, it appears to me the trail will need big repairs to restore to pre-storm condition. I do not know the condition beyond mp 20. This is a bummer because my other option is busy River Road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jepstein View Post
    All clear this morning on MVT from 4MR to 14th, including the part of 4MR that us underwater yesterday.
    Hains Point, too.
    And the MVT just upriver from Memorial Bridge that was under water has a nice path worn through the mud making it possible to make it through without mucking up the bike... until the next rain.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slosurf View Post
    For those venturing up the C&O Canal towpath, I wanted to share that the trail between around milepost 16 and 20 is pretty badly damaged from the river spilling up and over the towpath from the rains earlier this week. I commute down this trail into DC and, unfortunately, it appears to me the trail will need big repairs to restore to pre-storm condition. I do not know the condition beyond mp 20. This is a bummer because my other option is busy River Road.
    I know this doesn't solve all of the River Road problem (and I feel your pain), but how about peeling off at Persimmon Tree and heading down to Macarthur, then hopping on the CCT at Sangamore?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slosurf View Post
    Now you tell me. There is also a tree on the path further in, but that will be easy to remove.

I rode today out as far as Seneca when I used roads intending to cross at WF which was closed. So I turned around and went through that mess again. Actually the section which is really a mess is shorter than 4 miles.

On the good and unexpected side, at least to me, there is now a bike lane under the Freeway on Water Street (K Street). They did put both directions on the same side which I don't really like.

Edit: see https://twitter.com/Bilsko/status/1004845996180897794
    Last edited by ursus; 06-07-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    I know this doesn't solve all of the River Road problem (and I feel your pain), but how about peeling off at Persimmon Tree and heading down to Macarthur, then hopping on the CCT at Sangamore?
    Thanks for the suggestion. That is actually my route of choice. I get onto River at Esworthy so I have about 5 miles of River before Persimmon. Not as peaceful a ride as the towpath but certainly faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    Now you tell me. There is also a tree on the path further in, but that will be easy to remove.

I road today out as far as Seneca when I used roads intending to cross at WF which was closed. So I turned around and went through that mess again. Actually the section which is really a mess is shorter than 4 miles.

On the good and unexpected side, at least to me, there is now a bike lane under the Freeway on Water Street (K Street). They did put both directions on the same side which I don't really like.

Edit: see https://twitter.com/Bilsko/status/1004845996180897794
    Glad to hear that the trail damage is limited. I had to climb over the trees yesterday.

I hope that the new Water Street bike lane makes navigating to the CCT trail head at the end of Water easier. Mornings are fine. Evenings are a free-for-all between pedestrians, cars and bikes.

10. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I rode to Purcellville today and found out that sometime since the last time that I did it on 6/4/18, the W&OD has been being repaved from the western Leesburg bypass bridge eastward. It was a pleasure going under the eastern Leesburg bypass and not being jostled by the buckled trail. Also the area just east of the there where several years ago they had fixed the underpinnings of the trail is no longer rough. According to someone working there whom I asked, they are repaving as far east as Cochran Mill Road. They were within a mile of that today as it should be finished fairly soon. Hopefully the center line will also be repainted. They still haven't done that for the short section just west of Vienna which was repaved a couple of years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    Hopefully the center line will also be repainted. They still haven't done that for the short section just west of Vienna which was repaved a couple of years ago.
    You mean the passing lane? </elite>