Likes Likes:  93
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bike4thepike - 6/23/18 11:30am

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation bike4thepike - 6/23/18 11:30am

South Arlington deserves safe, direct, low-stress bike routes too.

Columbia Pike is one of Arlington’s least bike-friendly corridors— there aren’t any bike lanes, traffic is heavy, and the bike boulevards on parallel streets are disjointed and disconnected.

The County has budgeted over $165 million rebuilding Columbia Pike to make it a "complete street" according to the Capital Improvement Plan, and yet current plans wouldn't even provide a complete bike facility that runs the full length of the Pike, let alone one that is safe, direct and low-stress.

What: A protest ride in support of safe, complete, direct, low-stress bike accommodations along Columbia Pike
    When: Saturday June 23rd, 2018 11:30am
    Where: Starting at Penrose Square, 2597 Columbia Pike. Ending at the West Pike Food Truck Party, 4800 Columbia Pike
    Why: Columbia Pike is one of Arlington’s least bike-friendly corridors— there aren’t any bike lanes, traffic is heavy, and the bike boulevards on parallel streets are disjointed and disconnected. The County has budgeted over $165 million rebuilding Columbia Pike to make it a "complete street" according to the Capital Improvement Plan, and yet current plans wouldn't even provide a complete bike facility that runs the full length of the Pike, let alone one that is safe, direct and low-stress. This ride is to show of solidarity with other Columbia Pike cyclists. It is to show that we exist and to draw attention to the deplorable conditions for cycling on Columbia Pike that have existed for decades with little progress.
    How: Ideally, we will ride as one big pack of cyclists from Penrose Square to the Food Truck Party. We will occupy only the right lane of Columbia Pike until we need to turn left at the end of the ride. We will stop at all red lights. We will attempt to stay entirely together, but we may get separated by some red lights. We will end the ride at the West Pike Food Truck Party where you're encouraged to enjoy the entertainment and buy some tasty lunch from the food trucks.

Want to ride? RSVP
    Can't ride? Sign the petition

Willing to volunteer to a) help get the word out b) marshal the ride c) help with logistics? Contact me (Direct Message here, e-mail me if you know my address, send me a message on Twitter @alongthepike, whatever).

Post Thanks / Like

hoping to make it, and will be happy to help marshal.

...i'll just need help figuring out how to get there from across the river...

3. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by infinitebuffalo View Post

Awesome thanks! Judd is being amazing and coordinating all of the marshals.

5. Likes Judd, LhasaCM liked this post
    Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by infinitebuffalo View Post

Ill hit you up on Twitter about marshaling and also the getting here part.

7. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Ill hit you up on Twitter about marshaling and also the getting here part.
    For a slew of options for getting to there from DC - see https://twitter.com/LumberjackCycle/...13335790493696 (some better than others, depending on where in DC you're starting).

Post Thanks / Like

BAH! I hit [like], then hit [dislike] by accident, now I can't delete the dislike,lol... (Memo to admin...)

Definitely there for the ride, representing Papillon Cycles, shepherding Sue, but can assist with marshaling as needed.

BTW, the part of the route from George Mason to Four Mile Run, passing Barcroft Apartments... is a part of the Pike I have *never* ridden. It is *that* unappetizing, and should be showcased as such. I have always gone down to W&OD via the oh-so-steep Doctors Run connector and George Mason instead.
    Last edited by Starduster; 06-21-2018 at 05:48 PM.

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugh. I am going to miss an important World cup match for this, but this is more important. I am in!

12. Likes Judd, Emm, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did the petition and answered no to attending since there isn't a maybe and I'm a definite maybe.

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Did the petition and answered no to attending since there isn't a maybe and I'm a definite maybe.
    I’ll buy you a beer afterwards if you come. Does that change your answer?

15. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I’ll buy you a beer afterwards if you come. Does that change your answer?
    Of course. A definite "no" now.

But seriously, it's just a difficult day for reasons too boring to list. Plus, Ima scared of the Pike.