Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting cantilever brakes so they don't scream at me all the time

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adjusting cantilever brakes so they don't scream at me all the time

First ride on the new wheels and new rear pads. They're clearly not adjusted properly. The used pads on the front are squeaky, which I can maybe fix. The rear, brand new pads, squeal like someone is doing horrible things to a pig. It looks like one of the pads is hitting the rim at an angle, but I haven't been able to get it to not do that. Is there a good visual guide to adjusting cantilever brakes? Anyone good at it and want to try and explain the concept to me?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    . It looks like one of the pads is hitting the rim at an angle, but I haven't been able to get it to not do that.
    Don't make it not do that.

You want canti pads toed in.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-brake-service

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Don't make it not do that.

You want canti pads toed in.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-brake-service
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. Angle on the other axis - in your link, go down to "Vertical Face Alignment".

That link might be what I need, though. Thanks

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Replace them with TRP Mini V brakes; it'll be the best $90 you have ever spent. https://www.trpcycling.com/product/cx-8-4/

Or just get a new bike with disc brakes, which will be the best $xxxx.xx you ever spent.
    Last edited by hozn; 05-30-2018 at 01:32 PM.

5. Likes ian74, jrenaut, vvill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Replace them with TRP Mini V brakes; it'll be the best $90 you have ever spent. https://www.trpcycling.com/product/cx-8-4/

Or just get a new bike with disc brakes, which will be the best $xxxx.xx you ever spent.
    The TRPs look like what comes on super low-end garbage bikes so that's a surprising recommendation from you.

My next bike will definitely be hydraulic discs but that's not happening any time soon.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The TRPs look like what comes on super low-end garbage bikes so that's a surprising recommendation from you.

8. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My next bike will definitely be hydraulic discs but that's not happening any time soon.
    ?? Do you mean MTB V-brakes ?? Then, yes, it is expected they would look like that, since they are [mini-]V-brakes. TRP is a high-end brand, though, so you're not looking too closely (ti bolts!) if you think these look like garbage. Of course, if you'd like to pay more, you could get the Paul brakes: https://paulcomp.com/shop/components/minimoto/

You can google "mini v vs. cantilever" and let the internet sway you, but as far as I know there's really no debate; cantis are terrible by comparison -- both at stopping the bike and at doing so quietly. Certainly, that was my experience.

Edit: there are reasons why some people prefer cantis, and that usually has to do with extra clearance they provide for mud or fenders etc. Depending on tire and fender size it could get tight w/ mini-v. It was a long time ago, but I think I used mine w/o issue with P35 fenders (and probably 28mm tires).
    Last edited by hozn; 05-30-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe you - I know you don't mess around with your equipment. But that's the style of brake on the kids' bikes and my mom's super cheap hybrid, so I assumed the entire style of brake was bad, not just the low end versions.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe you - I know you don't mess around with your equipment. But that's the style of brake on the kids' bikes and my mom's super cheap hybrid, so I assumed the entire style of brake was bad, not just the low end versions.
    I mean, this is the kind of brake that used to come on all mountain bikes (a longer-arm version) before everything MTB switched to disc. -- Even the very expensive mountain bikes. For rim brakes V-brakes are about as good as it's gonna get.

Unless you're running massive tires, I think the mini-v would be a big improvement. Certainly it makes setup much simpler. Mine also stopped much better, though that may have been because I hadn't been setting the cantis up perfectly.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    For rim brakes V-brakes are about as good as it's gonna get.
    Mini V's though, right? Regular v-brakes have a different cable pull and require a stupid adapter for STI levers, which make them worse than cantis in my experience.