Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Alexandria Bicycle Maps

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    <like button>

I just think it'd be really fun to ride on EVERY SINGLE ROAD the city calls bike friendly, and then decide if we agreed with them or not .
    ZOMG WSGFAB and do this.

2. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    ZOMG WSGFAB and do this.
    We can spend days riding on every street in the City where there is any bike policy relevant question capable of being checked out by riding around, and we STILL won't have checked out as many as Casey Kane has.

4. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

<like button>

I just think it'd be really fun to ride on EVERY SINGLE ROAD the city calls bike friendly, and then decide if we agreed with them or not .
    Damnit, where is my ELITE button? We should definitely do this.

6. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    We can spend days riding on every street in the City where there is any bike policy relevant question capable of being checked out by riding around, and we STILL won't have checked out as many as Casey Kane has.
    Thanks LOTM, I have definitely ridden every street in the City with a hill that either has bike infrastructure or has been designated an on-street bike route. Sadly, the City has done a better job marking designated bike routes on maps, than they have on the actual streets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    It seems crazy to me as I review old versions that, for instance, Kennedy/Landover aren't marked as steep.
    There are lots of steep hills not marked. The bike map was only marking hills that either have bike infrastructure or were on designated bike routes. Currently, Kennedy and Landover don’t meet the criteria.
    Last edited by CaseyKane50; 05-21-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Grammer

Post Thanks / Like

<like button>

Since we donít have buttons to click on, I will use my own scoring <TRIPLE LIKE>

I am sure the City will appreciate this kind of feed back. I will confirm how they would want hills to be rated and whether they would want to limit the rating to hills that have infrastructure or are currently rated as a designated bike route.

I am in for the ride.
    Last edited by CaseyKane50; 05-21-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not understand why hills would not be shown anyplace they exist. I have not seen the map, but I suspect it shows where there is bike infrastructure and where there is not. What would be the point of NOT showing a hill, regardless of whether the city has gotten around to making that particular street part of the bike infrastructure network?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I do not understand why hills would not be shown anyplace they exist. I have not seen the map, but I suspect it shows where there is bike infrastructure and where there is not. What would be the point of NOT showing a hill, regardless of whether the city has gotten around to making that particular street part of the bike infrastructure network?
    Donít know. I checked the Arlington map, the DC map, and the Fairfax map. Only Alexandria and Arlington flag hills on their maps and they only include hills that are on designated bike routes or that have some type of bike infrastructure. Fairfax and Washington have opted not to include hill details.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    Don’t know. I checked the Arlington map, the DC map, and the Fairfax map. Only Alexandria and Arlington flag hills on their maps and they only include hills that are on designated bike routes or that have some type of bike infrastructure. Fairfax and Washington have opted not to include hill details.
    These maps look busy enough as-is, I'm imagining a topo map overlaid (underlaid?) and it seems it would be nearly unintelligible. I haven't seen the Alexandria map, but I'd think that if the bike infrastructure is distributed well enough (big if) one could get a sense of the general topography even if only the bike route hills and such are marked.

13. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    These maps look busy enough as-is, I'm imagining a topo map overlaid (underlaid?) and it seems it would be nearly unintelligible.
    The older versions laid simple V shapes pointing uphill. Here's how an older version indicated the steep drops on Braddock to Valley & Timber Branch:
    Name:  4AAE7DF0-7BB3-4051-BAD9-732255E21E7A.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  19.7 KB