Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: New Alexandria Bicycle Maps

  1. #11
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    <like button>

    I just think it'd be really fun to ride on EVERY SINGLE ROAD the city calls bike friendly, and then decide if we agreed with them or not .
    ZOMG WSGFAB and do this.

  2. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
  3. #12
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,857
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    ZOMG WSGFAB and do this.
    We can spend days riding on every street in the City where there is any bike policy relevant question capable of being checked out by riding around, and we STILL won't have checked out as many as Casey Kane has.

  4. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
  5. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    <like button>

    I just think it'd be really fun to ride on EVERY SINGLE ROAD the city calls bike friendly, and then decide if we agreed with them or not .
    Damnit, where is my ELITE button? We should definitely do this.

  6. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
  7. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    676
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    We can spend days riding on every street in the City where there is any bike policy relevant question capable of being checked out by riding around, and we STILL won't have checked out as many as Casey Kane has.
    Thanks LOTM, I have definitely ridden every street in the City with a hill that either has bike infrastructure or has been designated an on-street bike route. Sadly, the City has done a better job marking designated bike routes on maps, than they have on the actual streets.

  8. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    676
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    It seems crazy to me as I review old versions that, for instance, Kennedy/Landover aren't marked as steep.
    There are lots of steep hills not marked. The bike map was only marking hills that either have bike infrastructure or were on designated bike routes. Currently, Kennedy and Landover don’t meet the criteria.
    Last edited by CaseyKane50; 05-21-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Grammer

  9. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    676
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    <like button>

    I just think it'd be really fun to ride on EVERY SINGLE ROAD the city calls bike friendly, and then decide if we agreed with them or not .
    Since we donít have buttons to click on, I will use my own scoring <TRIPLE LIKE>

    I am sure the City will appreciate this kind of feed back. I will confirm how they would want hills to be rated and whether they would want to limit the rating to hills that have infrastructure or are currently rated as a designated bike route.

    I am in for the ride.
    Last edited by CaseyKane50; 05-21-2018 at 04:04 PM.

  10. #17
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    4,164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I do not understand why hills would not be shown anyplace they exist. I have not seen the map, but I suspect it shows where there is bike infrastructure and where there is not. What would be the point of NOT showing a hill, regardless of whether the city has gotten around to making that particular street part of the bike infrastructure network?

  11. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    676
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I do not understand why hills would not be shown anyplace they exist. I have not seen the map, but I suspect it shows where there is bike infrastructure and where there is not. What would be the point of NOT showing a hill, regardless of whether the city has gotten around to making that particular street part of the bike infrastructure network?
    Donít know. I checked the Arlington map, the DC map, and the Fairfax map. Only Alexandria and Arlington flag hills on their maps and they only include hills that are on designated bike routes or that have some type of bike infrastructure. Fairfax and Washington have opted not to include hill details.

  12. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    Don’t know. I checked the Arlington map, the DC map, and the Fairfax map. Only Alexandria and Arlington flag hills on their maps and they only include hills that are on designated bike routes or that have some type of bike infrastructure. Fairfax and Washington have opted not to include hill details.
    These maps look busy enough as-is, I'm imagining a topo map overlaid (underlaid?) and it seems it would be nearly unintelligible. I haven't seen the Alexandria map, but I'd think that if the bike infrastructure is distributed well enough (big if) one could get a sense of the general topography even if only the bike route hills and such are marked.

  13. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
  14. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    These maps look busy enough as-is, I'm imagining a topo map overlaid (underlaid?) and it seems it would be nearly unintelligible.
    The older versions laid simple V shapes pointing uphill. Here's how an older version indicated the steep drops on Braddock to Valley & Timber Branch:
    Name:  4AAE7DF0-7BB3-4051-BAD9-732255E21E7A.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  19.7 KB

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •