Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: How long should a waterproof pannier last?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How long should a waterproof pannier last?

About five years ago I bought a Timbuk2 commuting pannier. It had held up fairly well aside from the elastic cord holding the lower hook until a month or so ago, when the waterproof liner material started to crack and fall off. This failure seems a little premature to me (I have serviceable touring panniers and saddle bags that are much older), but then I note that Ortlieb only offers a five year warranty for their bags. Is five years all I should expect to get from a commuting bag?

Post Thanks / Like

My Ortlieb is just over four years old and shows almost zero signs of wear, just some scuffs on the front surface that could easily be removed with a magic eraser. It is used five days a week for commuting in all weather. I fully expect this bag to last another 10-15 years before it needs replacing (or even re-waterproofing).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    I note that Ortlieb only offers a five year warranty for their bags. Is five years all I should expect to get from a commuting bag?
    Warranties have mostly nothing to do with how long something will last--they're more about marketing and continuing expenses. And with abusive customers being a real problem, warranties over a year are becoming less and less common.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Two words: Ortlieb.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got Ortliebs and put them on my gravel bike should I finally decide to ride in without a backpack. They seem solid, and they went on without using the instructions, which is a good thing since the instructions were a series of indecipherable (to me) hieroglyphics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    My Ortlieb is just over four years old and shows almost zero signs of wear, just some scuffs on the front surface that could easily be removed with a magic eraser. It is used five days a week for commuting in all weather. I fully expect this bag to last another 10-15 years before it needs replacing (or even re-waterproofing).
    Thanks. I felt much the same after 4 years of my Timbuk2. :-/ I ordered an Ortlieb bag that I've started using this week; I hope it will hold up better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Two words: Ortlieb.
    Bob, that's just one word. I have to ask... are you OK?

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Two words: Garbage bags.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Bob, that's just one word. I have to ask... are you OK?

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy. All work and no play makes Bob a dull boy.

Post Thanks / Like

Ortlieb?