Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LCSO Investigating Assault on Washington & Old Dominion Trail

Post Thanks / Like

Default LCSO Investigating Assault on Washington & Old Dominion Trail

Re-posting from Loudoun CO Sheriff's Office:

Loudoun County, VA- The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office (LCSO) is investigating an assault on the Washington and Old Dominion Trail (W&OD) where a cyclist was seriously injured by another passing cyclist.

The victim, an adult male, was riding his bike west on the W&OD Trail near Ashburn Village Boulevard around 2:15 p.m. Sunday and was attempting to pass two bicyclists. He was reputedly riding on the center line when a cyclist coming from the opposite direction reached his arm out intentionally and hit the victim’s bike helmet. The victim fell to the ground and was seriously injured. He was taken to the Lansdowne Campus of Inova Loudoun Hospital and later transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital where he is listed in stable condition.

The suspect rode off in the opposite direction heading east towards Ashburn Village Boulevard. The suspect was wearing a white/light green shirt, helmet and sunglasses. His bike was described as being similar to a time trial bike or a triathlon bike. The bars on the bike were “aero bars” and his helmet was an “aero” helmet covered with a sun shade which covered half his face. The suspect was wearing a white/light green Castelli jersey and was approximately 6’ tall.

Anyone with any information regarding this case is asked to contact Detective M. Grimsley of the LCSO at 703-777-1021.

Post Thanks / Like

Time to spoof a ride on Strava and check the flybys. I know I would hate to lose my miles, no way I'd delete that if I was in his position.

On a more serious note, I had a similar experience on the W&OD with a cyclist from the opposite direction swerving over and swiping at my helmet. At the time I was less acquainted with light etiquette on the trail, so I think it may have been related to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Attempting to pass two bicyclists with oncoming traffic? A malicious swipe at the head is obviously an unacceptable response, but the victim here is bound to hurt himself and/or others if he keeps riding like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Being an Internet detective is oddly fun but also pretty disconcerting. Pursued some leads -- looked at flybys, looked for suspicious slowdowns in the area, cross-referenced Facebooks and LinkedIns, looked at jersey listings on Ebay to compare colors with photos, checked out triathlon results. Way too easy to fall down the rabbit hole. It definitely makes me reconsider my social media presence.
    Last edited by josh; 04-22-2018 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Added some more thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

I wish human behavior in crowds was better than it is, but since it isn't, on nice days I ride the roads instead of the trails. If Mr. smack-people-in-the-head doesn't like crowded trails, he really should take his time trialing elsewhere since the trail usually isn't appropriate for that type of riding.

Post Thanks / Like

The description seems specific enough, particularly the unusual helmet, that someone may know this person and be able to identify. I'm not on twitter or Facebook, but perhaps those of you who are can spread the word that way (or by other means?)

The suspect rode off in the opposite direction heading east towards Ashburn Village Boulevard. The suspect was wearing a white/light green shirt, helmet and sunglasses. His bike was described as being similar to a time trial bike or a triathlon bike. The bars on the bike were “aero bars” and his helmet was an “aero” helmet covered with a sun shade which covered half his face. The suspect was wearing a white/light green Castelli jersey and was approximately 6’ tall.

Anyone with any information regarding this case is asked to contact Detective M. Grimsley of the LCSO at 703-777-1021.

Post Thanks / Like

The guy that did this would be lucky if he didn't break his hand or wrist. If you figure both cyclists are each going 10-20mph, that's a hard impact on whatever he hit the guy's helmet with.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the person who was riding westbound (the crime victim) was attempting to pass under less than ideal circumstances. Without knowing more, such as the distance and speed of the E/B rider, it would be difficult to say more. The stiff-arm was, of course, way out of line, and is without question assault. That kind of thing will put people in hospitals and can leave them paralysed, if not dead. It also puts at risk other persons, such as trailing riders and the party being passed.

Having been confronted by aggressive passing in head-on situations, I've learned to give such riders a very wide berth, even if it means detouring to the grass. In those cases it is best to roll with a bad decision and go on with your day. Some people just do not want to slow down, even on a crowded trail on level terrain.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we may need to question the mental state, though, of the Cat 6 racer. Aero helmet and, I can only imagine, in aero position in mid afternoon on an absolutely perfect spring day -- what did he expect to find on the WOD?

Post Thanks / Like

That section of the trail is about 1-2% downhill heading east from Ashburn Road about 3/4 mile back (the direction the assaulter was coming from) and correspondingly low-grade uphill heading west. So victim is passing some slower riders and assaulter is probably doing about 20 mph.