Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: LCSO Investigating Assault on Washington & Old Dominion Trail

Post Thanks / Like

The perp wasn't on my shortlist of suspects after my own Strava investigation . Wonder if I simply missed it, or if the activity was private/he turned off flybys and law enforcement has a little more clout obtaining data. Presumably the latter.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't resist -- https://www.strava.com/activities/1525666006

Looks like he hit 30mph a bit before Ashburn Village Blvd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    couldn't resist -- https://www.strava.com/activities/1525666006

looks like he hit 30mph a bit before ashburn village blvd.
    wtf.

Post Thanks / Like

Copied over from DC Used Bicycle Marketplace post:

"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    May 17, 2018

Kraig Troxell, Media Relations and Communications Manager, 703-771-5278
    Kraig.Troxell@loudoun.gov

Alex Kowalski, Public Information Officer, 703-777-0625
    Aleksandra.Kowalski@loudoun.gov

Loudoun County, VA- A fitness tracking app and information from the public helped identify a cyclist in the assault of another cyclist last month on the Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) Trail

Detectives with the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office discovered the suspect was utilizing the STRAVA app as he traveled in the area of the assault. Through the investigation and interviews with independent witnesses, Edward A. Shortnacy, 48, of Vienna, was positively identified as the suspect. Shortnacy was charged today with malicious wounding.

The charge stems from an incident April 22 where the victim was riding his bike west on the W&OD Trail near Ashburn Village Boulevard and was attempting to pass two bicyclists. He was reportedly riding on the center line when the suspect was coming from the opposite direction. The suspect reached his arm out intentionally and struck the victim on his helmet. The victim fell to the ground and was seriously injured. The suspect rode off in the opposite direction.

The victim was taken to the Lansdowne Campus of Inova Loudoun Hospital and later transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital and was later released.

Shortnacy turned himself over to authorities Thursday morning and was released on a $5,000 unsecured bond."

5. 05-17-2018, 03:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SolarBikeCar View Post
    I wish I could post about a topic without others trying to hijack it into a conversation about me. At least this reply illustrates how different observers can have different viewpoints on what happened which is relevant to the topic.

First my tricycle has only one rear wheel so I suspect you meant that I dip one of my front wheels into the path. I do this when the oncoming traffic is walking or weaving on my side of the yellow line and I want to give them several feet of clearance. Of course if my wheel is in the bridle path I can't be taking my half out of the middle of the road so your allegation is inconsistent. I do move to the left when passing walkers especially if they have a pet even if they are walking off the path so maybe you mistaken that as riding down the middle. When my lane is clear I try to ride so the left tire track is 1 foot to the right of the yellow line.

But enough about me. If one's arm is 2 feet and another foot for wrist and fingers then passing cycles have to be pretty close for one to clothesline another with enough force to swipe them off the bike. Or, the contact is just a touch because otherwise the wrist and fingers would be broken if one hit a helmet at 30mph with a stiff hand.
    The reason I responded to your post at all was your striking dismissal of contact between riders.
    Secondary as point about relevance is only that you, as a habit, drive your electric car dead center of the trail as a norm and only move over when you see oncoming traffic. You dip a wheel into the bridal path as you move out of the other lane to give way to oncoming traffic.

It is not about you. You have shown quite well in past posts here, your blog and on the trail activities how you consider yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Default And the guy who was hit?

Any update on the rider who was smacked in the head? Does anyone on the board know him or know how his recovery is going?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Couldn't resist -- https://www.strava.com/activities/1525666006

Looks like he hit 30mph a bit before Ashburn Village Blvd.
    Max power of 920W on the W&OD on a Sunday afternoon. Wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Edward A. Shortnacy, 48, of Vienna, was positively identified as the suspect. Shortnacy was charged today with malicious wounding.
    He should also be charged with Hit and Run, which would undoubtedly be the case had he been driving a car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    He should also be charged with Hit and Run, which would undoubtedly be the case had he been driving a car.
    I'd be interested to hear our resident lawyers argue whether the incident involved vehicles or only pedestrians. Or discuss whether hit and run is about property damage rather than bodily injury.

Then again, maybe I'd get bored with that really fast.