Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LCSO Investigating Assault on Washington & Old Dominion Trail

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    It sounds like the person who was riding westbound (the crime victim) was attempting to pass under less than ideal circumstances. Without knowing more, such as the distance and speed of the E/B rider, it would be difficult to say more. The stiff-arm was, of course, way out of line, and is without question assault. That kind of thing will put people in hospitals and can leave them paralysed, if not dead. It also puts at risk other persons, such as trailing riders and the party being passed.

Having been confronted by aggressive passing in head-on situations, I've learned to give such riders a very wide berth, even if it means detouring to the grass. In those cases it is best to roll with a bad decision and go on with your day. Some people just do not want to slow down, even on a crowded trail on level terrain.
    Don't do split passes on the trail, Jeanne.

My strategy for people that want to do stupid passes is to make direct eye contact with them and give them a disapproving head shake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    and give them a disapproving head shake.
    In truth, I'm not sure how anyone would distinguish that from my typical disapproving head shake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by musclys View Post
    I think we may need to question the mental state, though, of the Cat 6 racer. Aero helmet and, I can only imagine, in aero position in mid afternoon on an absolutely perfect spring day -- what did he expect to find on the WOD?
    I have also had the "pleasure" of being mowed down by an oncoming rider in time-trial haste (on the Mt Vernon Trail- in my case, the only harm was to my freshly-built wheel). In the W&OD mishap, the victim's passing attempt was ill-advised, but it did not warrant what happened, or the severe injury suffered. I know I am preaching to the choir here (I *hope* I am anyway), but on these mixed-use trails, with slower riders, joggers, and *even* people walking, with varying degrees of inattention, *WE* are the biggest meanest mutha on the trail. As such, we have an obligation *not* to run anyone else off the road. Yes, there are times where you can go for it in the big ring... but *only* where an open road allows. No other time. If you *must* run a time-trial, do it on the road.

Hoping the victim is improving...

As for the time-trailer? Book 'im, Danno!
    Last edited by Starduster; 04-23-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have a white and green Castelli jersey, and I haven't sold my TT bike yet, but I can raise my right hand and assure you that yesterday I was riding at Laurel Hills on my retro 20 year old Stumpjumper. I have the Strava track to prove it.

Back in the day, I would have loved to have done some hard training with my TT bike on the W&OD. There's not too many places that are flat, relatively straight, and with minimal interruptions. However, I was mature enough to realize that the W&OD was not a good choice, especially in the middle of the afternoon on a nice day. Nowadays, on the rare times that I do ride the W&OD, I slow way down, and pass with extreme care. Better safe than sorry, and the trail is for all people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I do have a white and green Castelli jersey, and I haven't sold my TT bike yet, but I can raise my right hand ...
    Yeahhhhh, let's see your left hand instead

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

To save everyone else 5 minutes of their life: no charges and no other information in the video except a description of what strava is.

Post Thanks / Like

Suspect says he reached out to get the other riders attention. Though after clotheslining him, he fled the scene.

They did say the injured rider passed two other bikes (abreast or in line?), but at minimum this means he was riding in to on-coming traffic pretty aggressively when he got hit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    at minimum this means he was riding in to on-coming traffic pretty aggressively when he got hit.
    Yeah, I don't think there's any question about whether the guy who was injured was passing safely ("no").

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Yeah, I don't think there's any question about whether the guy who was injured was passing safely ("no").
    Do we know the section of the trail where this occurred? Is it narrow to the point a split-the-middle pass would never be safe? Or is your position that split-the-middle passes can never be safe?

If the last one, doesn't that limit the benefit of building wider trails? We're about to have a 16' wide portion of the Custis in Rosslyn - is that not wide enough to pass while there's oncoming traffic?

I think one problem we have is that there aren't standards here for when it's ok to pass and with how much distance -- on the road we want three feet between a car passing a cyclist. Should we expect three feet between a cyclist and anyone they pass on the trail? Does that distance depend on who is being passed (cyclist v. runner v. walker v. kid v. stroller v. dog, etc)? Does that distance depend on speed differential (which is how I ride -- greater speed differential => more room to pass)?

I think everyone would benefit from having more guidelines around these points.