Thread: Arlington (Pike Area) to DC - Advice for a new rider?

Default Arlington (Pike Area) to DC - Advice for a new rider?

Hiya gang,

Wondering if I can get your thoughts. A soon-to-be Columbia Pike resident contacted me about trying to find a good bike route from home (13th Rd S and Barton St S) to work (L and Vermont NW). They said that while they had ridden in the past in NYC, four years in non-bike friendly place has lead to very little riding, so sorta starting over as a beginner.

What's the best newbie-approved route from south of the Pike to just north of the White House? I have ideas, but they all involve trade offs, and would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Erin

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    Hiya gang,

Wondering if I can get your thoughts. A soon-to-be Columbia Pike resident contacted me about trying to find a good bike route from home (13th Rd S and Barton St S) to work (L and Vermont NW). They said that while they had ridden in the past in NYC, four years in non-bike friendly place has lead to very little riding, so sorta starting over as a beginner.

What's the best newbie-approved route from south of the Pike to just north of the White House? I have ideas, but they all involve trade offs, and would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Erin
    This is a periennel question -- from that area, do you brave the Pike for a bit (from Barton to Orme) in order to minimize hills and have a more direct route, or do you go north, (via the Memorial Bridge or Roosevelt Bridge)adding distance and elevation?

If we're talking about a federal employee or DoD contractor, or someone who knows someone DoD who would be willing to sponsor them for a pass, they can go through Fort Myer, either to Southgate Road or to Marshall Drive (I would probably do the latter).
    Last edited by dasgeh; 04-20-2018 at 09:57 AM.

3. 04-19-2018, 03:30 PM

Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical

Reason
    Dupe

Last I checked Judd was doing personal guided commute tours...

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Last I checked Judd was doing personal guided commute tours...
    Yeah. Iím happy to help bike them through multiple options. They can hit me up on the forums or at Lumberjackcycles@gmail.com

This is pretty darn close to my commute. Lots of trade offs based on comfort level.

Thanks, all! You highlighted all the trade-offs perfectly. I've shared this info back with the new rider, and encouraged them to sign up here, too.