Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bike lanes are just parking spaces

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Even if the buses weren't always there, these bike lanes are kind of pointless since the arrows (which you can't see because they are under the buses) indicate the bike lanes are unidirectional in the same direction as the motor vehicles are supposed to travel.
    Agree. The solution here is to remove the painted bike lanes and put in giant sharrows. Traffic is both light and generally slow; this is a fine place for people on bikes and cars to mix, especially after they install the curb cuts across the median. The buses then serve as traffic calming by narrowing the roadway.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Agree. The solution here is to remove the painted bike lanes and put in giant sharrows. Traffic is both light and generally slow; this is a fine place for people on bikes and cars to mix, especially after they install the curb cuts across the median. The buses then serve as traffic calming by narrowing the roadway.
    For a significant portion of the year there are no buses there, and its just a very wide lane. At a very minimum you would need to clearly paint the parking spots, and even then I think they do not function that well as traffic calming when empty - that is a general problem with parking as traffic calming in places where parking demand is often light.

On the other hand I like "Cast a Giant Sharrow".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060218/

We will build something up that hill, and break the siege - of L'Enfant Plaza?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike lanes are just parking spaces

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I reported this to 311, ddot, and sent a nasty gram to the tour bus company on the first day I saw it last week. When I tried to (politely) tell the tour bus driver he was parked in the bike lane he waved me off and turned his back to me quite rudely. I haven't bothered to report it when I've seen it every single day since then since I've generally been rushed. Last night around 7 there were 3-4 buses parked in the lane.

I've reinstalled my bike camera, so maybe I'll get back to reporting it daily if I have the time.
    Jerk faces! I will do so as well. Maybe if more people complain it will help.
    Last edited by SarahBee; 04-19-2018 at 05:37 AM.