Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bike 'puter (or something else?) recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a smart watch with decent reviews for $30 that supports Text/Call alerts with ID. Make sure that it supports your phone. It doesn't have a GPS, it uses the one in your phone.

The 4th product picture shows what a call alert looks like, and in this review, the second picture shows what a text message looks like.

Manufacturer home page: https://www.letscom.com/

P.S.: Avoid Fitbit watches, most of them are water-resistant, not water proof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ian74 View Post
    I have a problem and I need shopping advice. You see, I commute and I ride with my cell phone in my bag or in my jacket pocket. My wife likes to text message me with critical information, and it's always while commuting. Things like "Proof of life??" or "Charlie pooped" and "My water broke," Real important info. Since I'm perpetually grinding out miles with my head down invariably into a headwind, I don't hear or feel my phone vibrating. I was wondering, what is a way to get these text notifications while riding? Do I need a bike computer? Should I get an Apple Watch? I don't want a phone mount for my bike since I don't have lots of room on my bars and I'm accident prone.

Usually I see all the frantic messages when I stop all my rides and count all my KOMs in Strava. What are some solutions and recommendations?

Thanks all.
    I use a Lezyne SuperGPS and is quite happy with it. It works in conjunction with the phone or standalone, and has impressive battery life.

Here's a review
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...r-gps-enhanced

Good luck!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So, I have a Garmin 520, a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, and a Garmin VivoActive 3 (smart watch) currently.

All three support Bluetooth Smart and can show you incoming calls/texts. All three show who is calling/texting, and if a text, gives the first line or so of text. Both Garmins have the ability to show the whole message (unless it is a novel) if you interact with it. I have not tried to do that with my Elemnt yet, so not sure it it supports that. The Garmin 520 shows the notification until you manually clear it. The Wahoo and watch both clear the notifications on their own. So if you by chance miss the initial notification (happens with my watch ALL the time when riding because the vibration is not that strong), you will not know someone texted/called. (That being said, I have my watch set up to alert me that there are unread notifications on my phone, but it does not let me know whether they are emails, text messages, FB messages, or missed calls.) The Wahoo does beep loudly when you get a text/call, so I have not actually missed a message on that unless I happened to be away from the bike.

If your wife is due before May 25th-ish, you are more than welcome to borrow my 520 for an immediate solution while you work out your options. I just need it back before I leave for Kansas (it will be my backup GPS).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    So, I have a Garmin 520, a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, and a Garmin VivoActive 3 (smart watch) currently.

All three support Bluetooth Smart and can show you incoming calls/texts. All three show who is calling/texting, and if a text, gives the first line or so of text. Both Garmins have the ability to show the whole message (unless it is a novel) if you interact with it. I have not tried to do that with my Elemnt yet, so not sure it it supports that. The Garmin 520 shows the notification until you manually clear it. The Wahoo and watch both clear the notifications on their own. So if you by chance miss the initial notification (happens with my watch ALL the time when riding because the vibration is not that strong), you will not know someone texted/called. (That being said, I have my watch set up to alert me that there are unread notifications on my phone, but it does not let me know whether they are emails, text messages, FB messages, or missed calls.) The Wahoo does beep loudly when you get a text/call, so I have not actually missed a message on that unless I happened to be away from the bike.

If your wife is due before May 25th-ish, you are more than welcome to borrow my 520 for an immediate solution while you work out your options. I just need it back before I leave for Kansas (it will be my backup GPS).
    Thanks for the offer Sunyata, I don't need to borrow the 520. Super generous of you though. Our due date is next week!!!! I was in a panic so I just cheaped out and bought a handlebar mount for my phone. The bike computers seemed like total overkill and I research everything obsessively, especially tech purchases. Carolyn even said "get whatever you want!" and I still went for the lowest cost option. I think I'm broken.

(actually I'm saving every cent I can for a new bike...so I'm trying to not spend money elsewhere. When I get my Colnago Master/Tommasini tecno lugged steel beauty someday, I assume this will all be worth it. Maybe?)