Likes Likes:  80
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ethics of Breaking Traffic Laws

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had time to read the article but will share anyway. Cause I wanted to but haven't had a chance.

Recently..riding south on 11th st. In morning bike traffic. Around V or W st. I believe, we approached a stop sign - me and the 7 or 8 cyclists in front of me.

The first 1 or 2 went through the intersection.

However as I approached I saw a woman and her dog waiting to safely cross 11th st.
    I stopped at the stop sign. I had time to see her and stop because I slowed like I always do .and because it's the safe thing to do.

6! Cyclists coming behind me blew through the stop sign even as I yelled "STOP there's a pedestrian trying to cross!". They did not.

Then ..their just desserts..I caught up with said cyclists at the U st. Stop light.

They told me I should shut up. That they could go through as a group. And that I wasn't the bike police (ok point taken - maybe I should just model the good behavior).

But why the heck can't you be bothered to stop at a stop sign *when a ped is WAITING and wanting to cross*??

Seems a little courtesy to peds - and obeying the law-- would be helpful and help our image as scofflaws.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    I haven't had time to read the article but will share anyway. Cause I wanted to but haven't had a chance.

Recently..riding south on 11th st. In morning bike traffic. Around V or W st. I believe, we approached a stop sign - me and the 7 or 8 cyclists in front of me.

However as I approached I saw a woman and her dog waiting to safely cross 11th st.
    I stopped at the stop sign. I had time to see her and stop because I slowed like I always do .and because it's the safe thing to do.

6! Cyclists coming behind me blew through the stop sign even as I yelled "STOP there's a pedestrian trying to cross!". They did not.

Then ..their just desserts..I caught up with said cyclists at the U st. Stop light.

They told me I should shut up. That they could go through as a group. And that I wasn't the bike police (ok point taken - maybe I should just model the good behavior).

But why the heck can't you be bothered to stop at a stop sign *when a ped is WAITING and wanting to cross*??

Seems a little courtesy to peds - and obeying the law-- would be helpful and help our image as scofflaws.
    I think you should be the bike police.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I think you should be the bike police.
    Point taken. I had a brief fling with that a few years ago. You can well imagine my success rate and the number of epithets hurled at me. So, no, it's not our jobs to be the bike police. My one exception is politely asking people passing on MUPs to call their passes. I think that's important and okay if done non confrontationally.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had time to read the article but will share anyway.
    When you do read it, I think you may be pleased. Eben emphasizes precisely the importance of not endangering pedestrians - that it matters HOW you break the law, and WHERE you do so.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Point taken. I had a brief fling with that a few years ago. You can well imagine my success rate and the number of epithets hurled at me. So, no, it's not our jobs to be the bike police. My one exception is politely asking people passing on MUPs to call their passes. I think that's important and okay if done non confrontationally.
    FYI, the US is just about the only place in the world I've ridden where anyone at all call their passes.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    This was specifically meant for Jeanne. Jeanne is allowed to be the bike police.

7. 04-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    FYI, the US is just about the only place in the world I've ridden where anyone at all call their passes.
    And also the only place where football is played with hands only...

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Sadly, these are the ones that give cyclists a bad rap and others have to suffer the consequences because of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, our Danish exchange student was explaining the fast lane/slow lane unwritten rules on the bike paths of Copenhagen. Apparently she and her mother were ignorant at first, and those in the know less than understanding.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f148vr View Post
    Sadly, these are the ones that give cyclists a bad rap and others have to suffer the consequences because of it.
    Please. The bad rap is that we are not driving cars. You could obey traffic laws 100%. The traffic tribe driving 1 ton of steel and belching petroleum products into the atmosphere would still scream at you to get the hell out of the way.

The most horn honking I have heard lately?? Directed at car drivers who yielded to pedestrians in cross walks - honking from the cars behind.

They hate you because you are in their way. It is not a moral evaluation.