Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Biking to Metro (College Park or PG Plaza?)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Biking to Metro (College Park or PG Plaza?)

    Hi all,

    I'm located right between two metro stations (College Park and PG Plaza), a little over a mile from both. Walking is fine but I'm trying to shorten my commute while still getting exercise. So I'm considering riding my bike to the metro. (I thought about a push scooter, but apparently I would look ridiculous ...)

    I prefer PG Plaza because it is closer to DC, but I would need to get a bike locker and the route would require riding on sidewalks along a very busy road.

    The route to College Park is a slightly longer distance to ride (and going the opposite direction of DC), but it is a much more pleasant and safer ride on the trolley trail. I think I would only need to wait for one traffic light. I could also use the Bike and Ride facilities there.

    Any feedback on which is better?

    My other question is -- is it necessary to lock up my bike/helmet at the College Park Bike and Ride? Or is the point of this facility that you do not have to lock it up?

    THANKS!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How small a town are you from where you don't need to lock up your bike?

    I will always take the safer biking route, even if it's a little farther. The longer time spent on the bike will also be better time in general.

    And YES, definitely lock up your bike at the College Park Metro station, even if you're putting it into that cage, which you should do as well. It's free, but you just have to register your card.
    https://www.wmata.com/service/bikes/bike-and-ride.cfm

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tukwila, WA
    Posts
    2,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egn View Post
    I prefer PG Plaza because it is closer to DC, but I would need to get a bike locker and the route would require riding on sidewalks along a very busy road.

    The route to College Park is a slightly longer distance to ride (and going the opposite direction of DC), but it is a much more pleasant and safer ride on the trolley trail. I think I would only need to wait for one traffic light. I could also use the Bike and Ride facilities there.

    Any feedback on which is better?
    I think you answered your own question there . Based on your statements, the (edit: accidentally wrote PG Plaza originally) College Park route looks far superior because it's safer, it's on a trail, and you already enjoy it more. Also, since you'll be getting on a station farther out, you'll have a better chance at getting a good seat on the train!

    Just think how much nicer it will be when spring kicks into gear. Then, on really nice days, you can always extend your ride to Greenbelt so you can enjoy more of the wonderful Anacostia Tributary Trail System.
    Last edited by bobco85; 04-09-2018 at 10:16 PM. Reason: I'm a dum-dum and put the opposite of what I wanted to write

  4. #4
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You could also look into getting a folding bike, which you can take with you on Metro and use around DC.

    But I also think you could rock a folding scooter, like this one, or even a scoot-case, like this one.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    College Park
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Echo box here: Definitely CP Metro over PG Plaza.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I think you answered your own question there . Based on your statements, the
    College Park
    Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    route looks far superior because it's safer, it's on a trail, and you already enjoy it more. Also, since you'll be getting on a station farther out, you'll have a better chance at getting a good seat on the train!
    FTFY

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tukwila, WA
    Posts
    2,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    College Park
    FTFY


    ...oops. I totally thought I was writing College Park the whole time! Time to hit that edit button!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •