Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1

Thread: Biking to Metro (College Park or PG Plaza?)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Biking to Metro (College Park or PG Plaza?)

Hi all,

I'm located right between two metro stations (College Park and PG Plaza), a little over a mile from both. Walking is fine but I'm trying to shorten my commute while still getting exercise. So I'm considering riding my bike to the metro. (I thought about a push scooter, but apparently I would look ridiculous ...)

I prefer PG Plaza because it is closer to DC, but I would need to get a bike locker and the route would require riding on sidewalks along a very busy road.

The route to College Park is a slightly longer distance to ride (and going the opposite direction of DC), but it is a much more pleasant and safer ride on the trolley trail. I think I would only need to wait for one traffic light. I could also use the Bike and Ride facilities there.

Any feedback on which is better?

My other question is -- is it necessary to lock up my bike/helmet at the College Park Bike and Ride? Or is the point of this facility that you do not have to lock it up?

THANKS!

Post Thanks / Like

How small a town are you from where you don't need to lock up your bike?

I will always take the safer biking route, even if it's a little farther. The longer time spent on the bike will also be better time in general.

And YES, definitely lock up your bike at the College Park Metro station, even if you're putting it into that cage, which you should do as well. It's free, but you just have to register your card.
    https://www.wmata.com/service/bikes/bike-and-ride.cfm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by egn View Post
    I prefer PG Plaza because it is closer to DC, but I would need to get a bike locker and the route would require riding on sidewalks along a very busy road.

The route to College Park is a slightly longer distance to ride (and going the opposite direction of DC), but it is a much more pleasant and safer ride on the trolley trail. I think I would only need to wait for one traffic light. I could also use the Bike and Ride facilities there.

Any feedback on which is better?
    I think you answered your own question there . Based on your statements, the (edit: accidentally wrote PG Plaza originally) College Park route looks far superior because it's safer, it's on a trail, and you already enjoy it more. Also, since you'll be getting on a station farther out, you'll have a better chance at getting a good seat on the train!

Just think how much nicer it will be when spring kicks into gear. Then, on really nice days, you can always extend your ride to Greenbelt so you can enjoy more of the wonderful Anacostia Tributary Trail System.
    Last edited by bobco85; 04-09-2018 at 10:16 PM. Reason: I'm a dum-dum and put the opposite of what I wanted to write

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

You could also look into getting a folding bike, which you can take with you on Metro and use around DC.

But I also think you could rock a folding scooter, like this one, or even a scoot-case, like this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Echo box here: Definitely CP Metro over PG Plaza.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I think you answered your own question there . Based on your statements, the
    College Park
    Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    route looks far superior because it's safer, it's on a trail, and you already enjoy it more. Also, since you'll be getting on a station farther out, you'll have a better chance at getting a good seat on the train!
    FTFY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    College Park
    FTFY

...oops. I totally thought I was writing College Park the whole time! Time to hit that edit button!