Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April 2018 Road and Trail conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default April 2018 Road and Trail conditions

On the evening of April 2, the NPS cleaned Rock Creek Parkway and Beach Drive. Unfortunately, a lot of the crap coming off the roadway ended up on the bike trail. The worst section was between P Street and Pennsylvania Avenue.

I sent a letter off to the Superintendent asking to sweep the trail and to stop treating it as a dumping zone for the road.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DCAKen; 04-04-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCAKen View Post
    I sent a letter off to the Superintendent asking to sweep the trail and to stop treating it as a dumping zone for the road.
    And the response was: "What trail? There is no trail in those pictures."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    And the response was: "What trail? There is no trail in those pictures."
    Hah! That reminds me of when they put the bike cage in my building. I complained bitterly that it wasn't on the first garage level like DC law requires.

They responded by putting "Level B-1" signs on the wall next to the bike cage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCAKen View Post
    On the evening of April 2, the NPS cleaned Rock Creek Parkway and Beach Drive. Unfortunately, a lot of the crap coming off the roadway ended up on the bike trail. The worst section was between P Street and Pennsylvania Avenue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Yes, I was wondering where to submit a comment. Can you supply the contact information?

It was bad yesterday and had not been cleaned up by today. Or rather parts had been cleaned up and others not. I

I thought the worst section was actually up around Tilden Street (I bike between the Kennedy Center and Broad Branch) where the train was actually impassable at some points. But it was also bad in the section you mention.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by viennabiker View Post
    Yes, I was wondering where to submit a comment. Can you supply the contact information?

It was bad yesterday and had not been cleaned up by today. Or rather parts had been cleaned up and others not. I

I thought the worst section was actually up around Tilden Street (I bike between the Kennedy Center and Broad Branch) where the train was actually impassable at some points. But it was also bad in the section you mention.
    I send these messages to the Superintendent of the park at rocr_superintendent@nps.gov

Post Thanks / Like

It was quite floody and muddy out there this morning. The underpass on W&OD at Bluemont was really dangerous. The creek flooded and brought a LOT of mud and sediment onto the path that wants to pull you down. Same with the underpass under Carlin Springs.

The underpasses on 4MRT where they're doing construction was also REALLY muddy, not slick but it COVERED me and my bike. That next section with the dip before the right hand turn was just as bad.

And path next to the 4MR river coming up to the MVT was flooded in 3 sections, some 6-8" deep.

So SUPER fun commute. Be safe out there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NovaEbike View Post
    It was quite floody and muddy out there this morning. The underpass on W&OD at Bluemont was really dangerous. The creek flooded and brought a LOT of mud and sediment onto the path that wants to pull you down. Same with the underpass under Carlin Springs.

The underpasses on 4MRT where they're doing construction was also REALLY muddy, not slick but it COVERED me and my bike. That next section with the dip before the right hand turn was just as bad.

And path next to the 4MR river coming up to the MVT was flooded in 3 sections, some 6-8" deep.

So SUPER fun commute. Be safe out there
    When I heard that I-66 was closed due to flooding at Spout Run, I decided not to take Custis to MVT thinking the trail would be flooded and I wasn't sure how high the tide was so thought parts of MVT might be flooded. So, I took W&OD and 4MRT to Meade to Army-Navy Dr. I expected the Wilson underpass to be flooded and was surprised to see little water, but there was a lot of muddy sand even before one got close, so I bailed and crossed Wilson instead. Agree with all the assessments of NovaEbike. I just told a co-worker that I didn't get rained on this morning, I got mudded on. And my gear looks it.

4MRT itself is flooded at all the lower fords. I didn't look at the trail under Carlin Springs Road as I was trying to avoid all the debris (the water was clearly very high at some point), so not sure if it were flooded, but I would guess it is covered in debris. The ford south of the dog park at Glynn Carlin Park was not flooded (it is a high one), but there is a large tree butted up against it. Not sure how that will shift as the water recedes.

Post Thanks / Like

The Custis had standing water at the usual spot west of the Bridge to Nowhere where the drain gets clogged. Slow down or speed up as you see fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NovaEbike View Post

Ugh, that section was quite flooded, and the water was GROSS. I took a very long shower, and rinsed my shoes and socks off in the sink after I got into work.

Post Thanks / Like

I was pleasantly surprised that 4MRT and W&OD seemed clear of (majority) of the mud, sand and muck that was there in the morning (I turned off at Bluemont, so did not make it to the Wilson underpass, but I am assuming it was cleared).

This morning biking on the Custis, there was no water as described yesterday - the drain area was cleared of mud and muck.

I sent a thank you note to Arlington trails about it.