Likes Likes:  122
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  13
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Car Free Chronicles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The Giant in Bailey's Crossroads is going to be the nearest grocery store
    Don't forget they're building a Harris Teeter at C Pike & George Mason as we speak.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats @Judd on going car-free. And welcome to the club! I went care-free in 2016, but could've done it much sooner, as I hardly used my car after my son got his licence in 2012 ...and when I did, it was mostly to go to bike rides where I could've car pooled in most cases.

Like many others have said, I don't miss the car. That's in large part because my buddy @BeachFelipe lends me his whenever I need to do a long haul trip to see family because he rarely uses his car (but I could easily rent one, too).

I signed up for a car-share plan the first year, but then found I never needed to use it, so I dropped it.

I have experimented with 3 trailers, and find that I get the most utility out of the single-wheel tagalong. It tracks and maneuvers much better in the urban environment than the 2 wheeler. I upgraded my tagalong to one with spring loaded suspension that smoothed out the bumps dramatically over the hardtail version. I found it on the internet for $70.

I used my 2 wheeler ($60 on eBay.com) to move apartments across town over the course of a weekend (albeit I rented furnished on both ends).

If I were to buy a cargo bike, I would buy a Bullet...and race it during Crystal City Wednesday Night Spins!!
    https://www.splendidcycles.com/produ...t-cargo-bikes/

The cost of car ownership when you factor in depreciation meant that I could easily buy trailers, panniers...and more bicycles by trailer!

Zoom, zoom was fun while it lasted!

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boomer2U; 03-31-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The Giant in Bailey's Crossroads is going to be the nearest grocery store, but from an ease of getting there standpoint, it looks like going to the Harris Teeter in Shirlington is probably a better option.
    Im just up CP from your new place and while the Bailey's Crossroads Giant is closer, the Harris Teeter in Shirlington is much easier and safer to get to & from by bike with groceries. If you must go to a Giant, I'd recommend the Giant across Glebe from 4MRT instead.

The Shirlington HT also has covered bike parking. I don't recall any bike racks at either Giant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AFHokie; 04-01-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    Im just up CP from your new place and while the Bailey's Crossroads Giant is closer, the Harris Teeter in Shirlington is much easier and safer to get to & from by bike with groceries. If you must go to a Giant, I'd recommend the Giant across Glebe from 4MRT instead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
    I concur. While there *will* be a new Harris Teeter at the Pike & George Mason, that section of Columbia Pike between George Mason and the W & OD crossing is even *less* appetizing to ride. All these years living here, I have never attempted it. (Do I get credit for good sense?)

Post Thanks / Like

Not a done deal yet, but it's possible a farmers market will open at the Arlington Mill community center on Saturdays this spring.

Keep an eye out for your hyper-local news sources -- neighborhood bulletin board, Next Door, and/or community association if there is one.

Post Thanks / Like

I buy our groceries by bike and carry them in my knapsack. But itís only for me and two girls and my mom Ö I think boys eat more. My rule is to never use a cart in the store Ė only a basket Ė so I donít buy more than I can carry.
    I often ride to the Giant at the top of S. Jefferson St. near Leesburg Pike. Itís true that thereís no bike rack, but thereís an excellent railing on which to lock, and itís never taken because yíall seem to avoid that Giant. I also frequent the Trader Joeís in Baileyís Crossroads Center on the south side of Leesburg Pike. Itís not the most scenic ride (via Columbia Pike) but itís convenient. I would not rule out either of these places.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    We have one car - and its usually doing dog rescue work.
    You forgot the puppy pics.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by musclys View Post
    You forgot the puppy pics.
    They all got adopted this weekend! Sunday was a foster free day - and I got to steal the car and go to Rosaryville!! WSGFABR!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180328_183152.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	17732

Name:	IMG_1052.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	17733

Name:	IMG_20180328_184155_edit.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	17734

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    I buy our groceries by bike and carry them in my knapsack. But itís only for me and two girls and my mom Ö I think boys eat more.
    A recent photo on Strava shows the petite W&W towering over the other members of the family - so yeah, I'm guessing they're not going through a ton of food.

Post Thanks / Like

When I went car-free, I had to adjust my shopping schedule, as one person described it, to a more European version. Two or three days a week, I'll stop at the Giant across the street from where I work as I head home, filling up my two panniers. One reason I use Giant is they have the handheld UPC scanners, so I can scan items and fit them into my panniers as I shop. I don't have to worry about getting to the checkout and finding that I can't quite fit everything I bought into my bags.